Ask a Question forum: relocating mint

Views: 150, Replies: 5 » Jump to the end
Hotchkiss, Colorado
hrdeal
Oct 17, 2017 8:00 AM CST
good morning,
I live in Colorado about a 6b climate range and we have decided next season to rearrange our acre farm. I have four mint plants (one chocolate, one apple, and two Kentucky spearmint) that I want to move to a different location. all four plants are still thriving, green and lush. The weather here for the next 10 days is going to be in the 70s with lows in the high 30s low 40s. I have watered them two days ago and would love to keep them happy and healthy for next season. Would it be better to move them now or wait until the spring time?
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
Oct 17, 2017 9:41 AM CST
Welcome!

Haven't you already had your first snow? I would wait until spring.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

Webmaster: osnnv.org
Name: Deb
Pacific NW (Zone 8b)
Region: Pacific Northwest Deer Organic Gardener Ferns Herbs Dragonflies
Spiders! Dog Lover Keeper of Poultry Birds Fruit Growers Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Image
Bonehead
Oct 17, 2017 9:42 AM CST
In my Zone 8 Pacific NW area, I like to move things in the fall. That gives them a chance to get their roots settled in during our rainy winter. Not sure if that carries over to a Zone 6, you may have snow cover during winter? But, if you do move them this fall, you will likely have to do some more digging next spring in their old spot to get all the stragglers that will undoubtedly send up hopeful new shoots.
I want to live in a world where the chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
Hotchkiss, Colorado
hrdeal
Oct 17, 2017 11:11 AM CST
Thank You! daisyl!
No we have not received any snow yet we are in a small micro climate on the western slope. We actually get more rain than snow in the winter. The mountains around us get the snow. I’ll iust wait until the spring, I took cuttings that I will winter over inside as well just incase my relocation doesn’t work.
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
Oct 17, 2017 11:27 AM CST
Thumbs up
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

Webmaster: osnnv.org
Name: Yardenman
Maryland (Zone 7a)
Image
Yardenman
Oct 18, 2017 5:03 AM CST
hrdeal said:good morning,
I live in Colorado about a 6b climate range and we have decided next season to rearrange our acre farm. I have four mint plants (one chocolate, one apple, and two Kentucky spearmint) that I want to move to a different location. all four plants are still thriving, green and lush. The weather here for the next 10 days is going to be in the 70s with lows in the high 30s low 40s. I have watered them two days ago and would love to keep them happy and healthy for next season. Would it be better to move them now or wait until the spring time?


You should be able to move the mints now, but the larger the rootball the better. Ideally, they won't even know they have been moved. But make sure they get lots of water where you move them.

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Hosta Kroosa Regal"