Views: 82, Replies: 3 » Jump to the end
Dec 5, 2017 12:03 AM CST
|Hello my friends! I am having some tomato problems I need help troubleshooting.
I am growing beefsteak tomatoes in indoor containers. They are about 4-5 feet tall now, and I do have a lot of flowers and fruits set. HOWEVER the following problems have developed:
1) I am getting leaf roll and yellow mottled color, and the leaves going low to high are starting to shrivel and even crumble.
2) New blooms are less numerous and I'm getting a fair amount of blossom drop even before blooms appear.
3) New vine growth appears fairly "leggy" with too much space between offshoots.
Here are some other general conditions, potential problems and fixes:
1) Temperature ranges from 65 to 77 on 24 hour cycle
2) I have ample full spectrum lighting on all the plants… that shouldn't be the issue
3) I am watering the plants every 4-5 days and the moisture level feels even, so I don't think that's the issue.
4) I tested the soil and nitrogen was just slightly low, so I added a nitrogen-heavy fertilizer (could be cause of the lack of foliage and the yellowness)
5) The tomato plants are likely overcrowded, which could cause some of the problems. I topped off two of the plants and added an entire second layer of soil (the 2nd tier of containers in the photos) to encourage roots to grow up the stem. Previously the roots had reached the bottom of the initial containers.
6) I had a mild-moderate case of fungus gnats, and after replacing the top level of soil and adding Gnat Nix (the white stuff) the gnats appear under control.
After the above fixes, new growth on my tomatoes / eggplant / basil DOES appear more healthy, non-curled, non-yellow. Unfortunately I suspect a virus might be affecting the tomatoes if the improvement does not continue.
Any thoughts?? Thank you!!!!! :-D :-D :-D
Dec 5, 2017 9:10 AM CST
|Leggy plants usually means that they are not getting enough light. Is it just the tops of the plants getting the light ?
I am no expert, but those are my thoughts.
Dec 5, 2017 11:03 AM CST
|Thanks Caroline. I suspected that but really don't think that's the case, as the legginess only just started happening. That's what made me suspect the overcrowding! It looks like the legginess may be going away with new growth and after my recent fixes. Fingers crossed :)|
Dec 6, 2017 6:53 AM CST
|Good Luck !
And do keep us informed of progress !
Also to the NGA
The site is slow over the winter, but you may want to join in future tomato growing discussions which will start up again in spring over under the Vege forums.
|« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum