Ask a Question forum: Indoor Worm Bin

Views: 65, Replies: 1 » Jump to the end
Missouri ( Northern)
Feb 7, 2018 4:53 PM CST
Hi, Is it ok to put the leaves of plants that are poisonous to humans and or dogs and cats, into an indoor worm bin? I know outside they must help decompose these, but they could avoid them too.
I sure do not want to kill off my worms in a small area.
Thanks so much, Carletta
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Feb 7, 2018 8:25 PM CST

Most plants are toxic to some degree - its their defense because getting up and running away doesn't work if you are rooted to the earth. So earthworms are digesting toxic plants and, as worms are really small, even the least toxic plant would be toxic to them.

Luckily, I found this article that explains it all. My caution would be if you have pets that will accidently get into your worm bin.

My second caution would be that even though you won't kill your worms, whatever compost they produce for you might be poisonous.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost


« Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"