Post a reply

Avatar for Peridot700
Feb 7, 2018 9:13 PM CST
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Hi! I want to start growing houseplants again in my house, however there isn't one room in our house that receives enough of sun for healthy plants.
I was thinking of buying floor lamps from Ikea because they use LED bulbs & they're inexpensive. I've done research on both LED bulbs and florescent bulbs, seems like LED is better lighting & less expensive. I want floor lamps so I can group plants together. Suggestions welcome!
Feb 8, 2018 1:00 AM CST
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier

I would skip the LED's and go with CFL's. Regular LED's don't have the right color spectrum for plants - LED's used for plants are colorful and hard to live with as lighting for your house.

The attached article suggests using a combination of CFL's and incandescent lights in gooseneck lamps:

"Easy plant lighting for room with low natural light:

Find a standing lamp with three bulbs, ideally one with moveable or gooseneck fixtures.

Use one incandescent bulb and two compact fluorescent bulbs of the highest wattage you can, within the safe wattage rating for the fixture.

Aim the lights toward your plant table. If each fixture is separately movable, then put the fluorescent bulbs closer than the incandescent, to avoid heat damage.

Place a mirror or other reflective surface underneath your plants, to reflect light back up onto the foliage.

Attach a timer set to 16 hours per day."
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Feb 8, 2018 7:54 PM CST
Name: Philip Becker
Fresno California (Zone 8a)
Peridot 700 : Shh !!!!....???
I'll tell you something TOP SECRET !
A G.E. LED DAYLIGHT BULD, that's equal to a 100 watt bulb, but only uses 13 watts ! and has a 5,000 K rating. IS ?...Actually ? A grow lite.👍
I ! Personally recommend using a reflector fixture.

There also the perfect ! Lite builds for your, inside house liteing also ! 👍😀😀😀

Ttfn 💃
Anything i say, could be misrepresented, or wrong.
Avatar for Peridot700
Feb 9, 2018 12:04 PM CST
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Thanks but what is a reflector fixture?
Feb 10, 2018 7:59 AM CST
Name: Philip Becker
Fresno California (Zone 8a)
Also called clamp-on utility lite. About 12 inch around, reflector, like a half an egg shell, with place for bulb to go in center, and a clamp on the back, so you can hang them.
In department stores, they usually have them where brooms and mops are.

You can get them at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, harbor freight, for like 5 or 10 bucks.

If the clamp on type don't suit your fancy, you can find different styles, that look more attractive, that sit on floor, that are on adjustable poles, etc.
You'll just have to shop/look around to find one to suit your fancy 👍😀.

Did I mention timers ?🤔??? You'll want lites on, if no supplemental lite available, lites on 16 hours a day.

Please send some pictures of your situation. I'm starting to guess myself ! I don't want your efforts to go, A WAIST !
Pictures ! ARE, really helpfull !!!
BESIDES ! WE, really like to see SEE pictures. 👍😀😀😀... Lol.

I'll be waiting !!!! For you 👍
Philip 😎😎😎
Anything i say, could be misrepresented, or wrong.
Avatar for Peridot700
Feb 10, 2018 2:06 PM CST
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Thank you both for the info! Very helpful. I don't have any plants yet. I need to get the lighting set up first, buy some plants and then I can post pics. Smiling
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Lucius93 and is called "Ouch!"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.