Views: 70, Replies: 2 » Jump to the end
Feb 15, 2018 4:31 PM CST
|Larry the roots on those are impressive. When was that particular group sewn in your cups?
I know what you are saying about taking time to set them out. I planted those (18) of mine the other day and it took me almost an hour to get it done. I too was planting them, one at a time. Having markers premade is a must for me. If I didn't do that I would forget the cross by the time they were in the ground.
(Georgia Native in Florida)
Feb 15, 2018 6:12 PM CST
|The dates varied some on the ones I planted. They ranged from August to October. Each cup I emptied surprised me with how well the roots were developed. It looked to me like there would not have been room in the cups for all the roots!.
I planted six more rows today and the roots were consistently well developed. Even very tiny seedling (most of which I replanted) had extensive roots.
I got more familiar with my numbering system today and I did a much more efficient job of planting, things went much faster.
My seedlings I think have done well, but they are not as advanced as I hoped they would be. I thought I had planted most of the ones that were mature enough to transplant. However today as I was working with the plants I realized that even if there are some small seedlings mixed in with the larger ones I can still empty them out and separate the small ones and replant them. As well at the roots were developed on them I don't think that is going to be a problem.I am hoping with the weather staying nice like it is that the remaining ones will grow in a hurry and I will be able to put them in the beds before April. I want them to have some maturity and I am hoping some of them will bloom this season.
I also realized today that I need to limit the number of plants from a single cross to no more than ten. I can get ten to eleven plants in the rows the way I have them laid out. I now have 70 plants planted in seven rows.
I had originally thought that I would have one number for each cross and only need one marker for that number. As I worked along today I realized that there will be times when as plants mature later that are of the same cross I will need additional markers and also for times like today when I overlooked some plants, instead of having to dig them up and redo everything, I just had to make a second marker with the same cross number. I can see that being repeated several times if necessary.
The weather has been perfect for me to get out and do the transplanting. I really had a great time today working with the seedlings. Learning as I go and hope to get better at it. I just don't know how people have time to plant thousands of seedlings every year.
Feb 19, 2018 7:48 AM CST
|You people are way too organized for me
Larry, For a minnit there I thought maybe you had vampire troubles as well as armadillos
The end is nothing, the journey is all.
|« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Blog post: Hemlady seedlings....02-14-2018