Houseplants forum: What is this small reddish-brown disk?

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2
Views: 1044, Replies: 33 » Jump to the end

bruch
Feb 21, 2018 2:41 PM CST
I'm trying to identify and eradicate this small, reddish- brown disk-shaped thing that is multiplying rapidly. I am finding it mostly on the green leaves of my houseplants, but also on the nearby walls and window sills (as in the picture). It is about the size of a chili flake. Although it does not appear to move on its own, it is turning up all over the place around my plants. Is it an insect egg or dropping?

Thumb of 2018-02-21/bruch/9bca2d

[Last edited by bruch - Feb 21, 2018 2:43 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1645229 (1)
Name: Laurie b
Western Washington (Zone 7b)
Houseplants Region: Pacific Northwest Sedums Orchids Tropicals Region: Mexico
Image
lauriebasler
Feb 22, 2018 4:24 AM CST
It is not pod from a nearby tree?
Name: Christine
Saugerties, NY zone 5a
Charter ATP Member Region: United States of America Deer Region: New York Birds Cat Lover
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Container Gardener Hostas Tropicals Dog Lover Hummingbirder
Image
Christine
Feb 22, 2018 8:17 AM CST
Some type of spider mite maybe, especially if its multiplying

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 10:16 AM CST
lauriebasler said:It is not pod from a nearby tree?


No, there's no tree nearby and these things are either moving or getting moved all about the indoors of my house.

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 10:18 AM CST
Christine said:Some type of spider mite maybe, especially if its multiplying


I don't see any legs on this thing and none of those tiny, spider mite webs around.

I'm amazed I can't find anything like this on the internet. Has me worried!
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Greenhouse Sempervivums Bromeliad
Adeniums Garden Ideas: Level 1 Tropicals Xeriscape Garden Art Plumerias
Image
plantmanager
Feb 22, 2018 10:25 AM CST
I've not seen anything quite like this. Where are you located?
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 10:28 AM CST
plantmanager said:I've not seen anything quite like this. Where are you located?


Near San Francisco, CA
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Greenhouse Sempervivums Bromeliad
Adeniums Garden Ideas: Level 1 Tropicals Xeriscape Garden Art Plumerias
Image
plantmanager
Feb 22, 2018 10:31 AM CST
Thanks! If you have a macro setting on your camera, please try to get a closer photo. Is it softer like a dropping, or hard like a seed pod? We've had droppings around here that looked close, but not quite right. Ours are from lizards.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Christie
43016 (Zone 6b)
Plays in the water.
Amaryllis Sempervivums Roses Bookworm Annuals Composter
Hybridizer Cat Lover Garden Ideas: Master Level
Image
cwhitt
Feb 22, 2018 10:32 AM CST
I don't know what it is, but you can send photos of it to your county extension office and they can usually tell you. Better yet, put some of them in a zip lock bag and mail it to them - make sure the zip lock bag is completely closed. I don't know where you are located, but you can just google "county extension office' along with the name of the county you live in. Have you tried to smash one of them?
Plant Dreams. Pull Weeds. Grow A Happy Life.

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 10:34 AM CST
plantmanager said:Thanks! If you have a macro setting on your camera, please try to get a closer photo. Is it softer like a dropping, or hard like a seed pod? We've had droppings around here that looked close, but not quite right. Ours are from lizards.


They are hard. Will take a closer photo when I'm back at my house. Thanks!

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 10:35 AM CST
cwhitt said:I don't know what it is, but you can send photos of it to your county extension office and they can usually tell you. Better yet, put some of them in a zip lock bag and mail it to them - make sure the zip lock bag is completely closed. I don't know where you are located, but you can just google "county extension office' along with the name of the county you live in. Have you tried to smash one of them?


Thanks! No, hadn't though to smash one, but it's a good idea. Will try and report back.
Name: Karen
NM (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Greenhouse Sempervivums Bromeliad
Adeniums Garden Ideas: Level 1 Tropicals Xeriscape Garden Art Plumerias
Image
plantmanager
Feb 22, 2018 10:36 AM CST
Taking them to the extension agent is the best idea. They should be able to ID them easily. If they're hard, I'm thinking something nearby had their seed pods open.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Christie
43016 (Zone 6b)
Plays in the water.
Amaryllis Sempervivums Roses Bookworm Annuals Composter
Hybridizer Cat Lover Garden Ideas: Master Level
Image
cwhitt
Feb 22, 2018 10:47 AM CST
Yeah, in my area it seems like the county extension office lives for stuff like this - they answer quickly and are full of information. I am wondering how they are sticking to your wall - are they sticky??
Plant Dreams. Pull Weeds. Grow A Happy Life.

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 11:16 AM CST
bruch said:

They are hard. Will take a closer photo when I'm back at my house. Thanks!


Alright, here's the best I could manage. Helpful? I'm liking the seed/seed pod idea. But from what plant? And what's moving them all about? This is all happening indoors (no wind).


Thumb of 2018-02-22/bruch/9807a1


bruch
Feb 22, 2018 11:19 AM CST
bruch said:

Thanks! No, hadn't though to smash one, but it's a good idea. Will try and report back.


It does break apart if I crush it with my fingernail, but just too small for me to discern any parts.

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 11:22 AM CST
cwhitt said:Yeah, in my area it seems like the county extension office lives for stuff like this - they answer quickly and are full of information. I am wondering how they are sticking to your wall - are they sticky??


Is this what you mean by county extension office?:
cesanmateo.ucanr.edu

They are not noticeably sticky to my touch, but yes, they are somehow sticking to the walls. They are so small, it might just be hard for me to tell that they are sticky to the touch.
Name: Lin
Florida Zone 9b, 10a

Region: United States of America Deer Region: Florida Charter ATP Member Million Pollinator Garden Challenge I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
Garden Procrastinator Birds Butterflies Bee Lover Hummingbirder Container Gardener
Image
plantladylin
Feb 22, 2018 11:39 AM CST
I wonder if they might be spider mites?
~ Playing in the dirt is my therapy ... and I'm in therapy a lot! ~


Name: Christie
43016 (Zone 6b)
Plays in the water.
Amaryllis Sempervivums Roses Bookworm Annuals Composter
Hybridizer Cat Lover Garden Ideas: Master Level
Image
cwhitt
Feb 22, 2018 11:55 AM CST
bruch said:

Is this what you mean by county extension office?:
cesanmateo.ucanr.edu

They are not noticeably sticky to my touch, but yes, they are somehow sticking to the walls. They are so small, it might just be hard for me to tell that they are sticky to the touch.


Yes - I would send your pictures and inquiry to [email protected]
Dr Sheena Sidhu
Title: Staff Research Associate
Specialty: Entomology, Plant-Pollinator Interactions, Insect Communities, Beneficial Insects, Plant Pollination
Address:
Cooperative Extension San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
1500 Purisima Creek Road
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Email: [email protected]
Plant Dreams. Pull Weeds. Grow A Happy Life.
Name: Christie
43016 (Zone 6b)
Plays in the water.
Amaryllis Sempervivums Roses Bookworm Annuals Composter
Hybridizer Cat Lover Garden Ideas: Master Level
Image
cwhitt
Feb 22, 2018 11:55 AM CST
Do you have any pets in your house? Or were your windows or door left open?
Plant Dreams. Pull Weeds. Grow A Happy Life.

bruch
Feb 22, 2018 2:15 PM CST
cwhitt said:

Yes - I would send your pictures and inquiry to [email protected]
Dr Sheena Sidhu
Title: Staff Research Associate
Specialty: Entomology, Plant-Pollinator Interactions, Insect Communities, Beneficial Insects, Plant Pollination
Address:
Cooperative Extension San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
1500 Purisima Creek Road
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Email: [email protected]


Cool, I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Houseplants forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"