Houseplants forum: What are these bugs and how do I get rid of them?

Views: 171, Replies: 7 » Jump to the end

PlantDestroyer
Feb 24, 2018 6:36 PM CST
Hello friends,

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb of 2018-02-25/PlantDestroyer/5a8a94
Thumb of 2018-02-25/PlantDestroyer/acbc53
Thumb of 2018-02-25/PlantDestroyer/62c331
Thumb of 2018-02-25/PlantDestroyer/1a9a15

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Image
WillC
Feb 24, 2018 9:09 PM CST
I don't see any plant pests clearly enough in the first three photos to ID them. The last photo clearly shows scale insects along the stems. Mix a solution of 5 parts water, 1 part alcohol and a squirt of liquid soap. Then, spray the entire plant so that all leaf and stem surfaces are dripping wet. It's a messy task but necessary if you want to eradicate them completely.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
I now have a book available on indoor plant care
Northern NJ (Zone 6b)
Image
LorettaNJ
Feb 24, 2018 10:34 PM CST
I see the scale also in the last picture but in the other photos, you seem to have white fly and/or possibly wooly aphids. Personally I would start over. Clean all surfaces. New soil. Disinfectant pots.
Name: Laurie b
Western Washington (Zone 7b)
Houseplants Region: Pacific Northwest Sedums Orchids Tropicals Region: Mexico
Image
lauriebasler
Feb 24, 2018 11:27 PM CST
Hi Will:

I can't see the white things on the leaves in the first pic well enough. Are they ok? I am trusting your eyes are better than mine Rolling on the floor laughing .

Thanks.

PlantDestroyer
Feb 24, 2018 11:55 PM CST
lauriebasler said:Hi Will:

I can't see the white things on the leaves in the first pic well enough. Are they ok? I am trusting your eyes are better than mine Rolling on the floor laughing .

Thanks.



Sorry about that, my phone camera can't quite capture the bugs in the first pic no matter how many times i try. These are slightly better.


Thumb of 2018-02-25/PlantDestroyer/ad4012
Thumb of 2018-02-25/PlantDestroyer/b7df18


PlantDestroyer
Feb 24, 2018 11:56 PM CST
WillC said:I don't see any plant pests clearly enough in the first three photos to ID them. The last photo clearly shows scale insects along the stems. Mix a solution of 5 parts water, 1 part alcohol and a squirt of liquid soap. Then, spray the entire plant so that all leaf and stem surfaces are dripping wet. It's a messy task but necessary if you want to eradicate them completely.


Thanks, I've done as advised and hopefully it deals with the other pests too.

PlantDestroyer
Feb 24, 2018 11:57 PM CST
LorettaNJ said:I see the scale also in the last picture but in the other photos, you seem to have white fly and/or possibly wooly aphids. Personally I would start over. Clean all surfaces. New soil. Disinfectant pots.


If Will's remedy fails to rid the plants of the pests I will probably do as you suggest. Thanks.
Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Image
WillC
Feb 25, 2018 11:30 AM CST
In the new photos, I see what appear to be whiteflies. They are not easy to treat because they fly off as soon as you spray or even disturb the leaves. If it is not too cold, carefully carry the Aphelandra outside and hose down the tops and bottoms of all the leaves to knock the whiteflies and their eggs loose. Better to have the winged adults fly off outside rather than inside.

After you bring the plant back inside, then use a soap spray to cover the entire plant. The whitefly eggs are nearly invisible and are usually found on the undersides of the leaves.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help, NYC
www.HorticulturalHelp.com
I now have a book available on indoor plant care

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Houseplants forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Hosta Kroosa Regal"