Hello, first post. Wish it were a more positive one, but today I had to take my dog to the vet and long story short, its poisoning from eating from the compost pile, a behavior I thought we had broken.
We've had our pile for about 2 years and I've read on composting a good bit. I like to think the pile is healthy and functioning properly. But now this has me concerned (especially because we mix in some of the mature stuff when we pot house plants on occasion). Is this something normal that just happens and not a problem as long as nothing is ingested or is there something I need to do? Do I need to put more cover material on top of the pile? Just had me worried, especially because my 4 year old plays in the backyard where the pile is. After seeing what it did to the dog, it got me thinking a bit more about the safety aspect of composting. Thanks in advance