Site Talk forum: Thread about building Owl houses

Views: 199, Replies: 3 » Jump to the end
Name: Laurie b
Western Washington (Zone 7b)
Houseplants Region: Pacific Northwest Sedums Orchids Tropicals Region: Mexico
lauriebasler
Mar 26, 2018 11:37 PM CST
Some time ago, I found myself in a thread with people sharing their owl houses they had built or ordered. It was very informative. I have a friend who needs to encourage owls on her property and I would love to send her a link to this old thread. Are there any tips in searching you can share that may help me be more successful in finding any owl house related posts.

Thank you.
Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
Dreams don't work unless you do.
Deer Bookworm Keeper of Poultry Vermiculture Garden Ideas: Master Level Region: Georgia
Plant Identifier Rabbit Keeper Composter Garden Sages Native Plants and Wildflowers Herbs
greene
Mar 28, 2018 4:17 PM CST
I just tried to search and got results with the letters owl...bowl, knowledge, etc. I gave up. I did find a ton of plans on the internet but you have to know which type of owl before you build and install the box. Good luck and hope you find the thread.
Sunset Zone 28, AHS Heat Zone 9, USDA zone 8b~"Leaf of Faith"
North Central TX (Zone 8a)
Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
tx_flower_child
Apr 9, 2018 9:28 PM CST
Laurie — Do you know what kind of owl your friend is trying to encourage to her property? Earlier this evening I read a post on Facebook about Screech Owl houses. The thing I remember is that you have to put a layer of cedar (chips?) on the bottom or the mother will often crack the shell of the would be baby owl. This was only about Screech Owls. Don't know if it would be true of other owls. Anyway it was my neighborhood Wild Birds Unltd that posted it.
Name: Sandi
Austin, Tx (Zone 8b)
Texas Gardening
Forum moderator Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level Plant Identifier Master Gardener: Texas
Region: Texas Tropicals Plumerias Ferns Greenhouse Garden Art
Bubbles
Apr 9, 2018 10:39 PM CST
There are YouTube videos that demonstrate the construction of owl houses. I have three neighbors that have owl houses. They have wildlife cameras to keep an eye on them. One had two tiny owls perched on the entrance hole. The neighbor sent the photo to all of us....like a proud papa!

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Site Talk forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"