Ask a Question forum→Your "percentage chance of frost" example is worded incorrectly!

Views: 286, Replies: 7 » Jump to the end
Estacada, OR
Mar 27, 2018 12:27 PM CST
You say "there is an 80% chance that you will be past the danger of a hard 24° freeze on December 30". This is incorrect; at this date there is an 80% chance that one will NOT be past a hard 24° frost. The correct data point for an 80% chance of being past a 24° frost is Feb 15. Confusing!
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Mar 27, 2018 3:23 PM CST

We have discovered other 'problems' with the charts. Thank you for pointing this one out. We will hand it over to our Boss for him to review and do any necessary fixing.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Name: Dave Whitinger
Jacksonville, Texas (Zone 8b)
Region: Texas Garden Research Contributor Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Permaculture
Raises cows Beekeeper Vermiculture Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Mar 27, 2018 3:29 PM CST Admin

The page is correct and there are no problems with the charts that I am aware of.
[Last edited by dave - Mar 27, 2018 3:29 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1669244 (3)
Estacada, OR
Mar 27, 2018 7:51 PM CST
To be clear, I'm not referring to the chart itself. As far as I know, the chart is correct. The column labels are fine, but you refer to them in your example incorrectly. The example presented to assist in reading the chart cites the 80% column as the date "there is an 80% chance that you will be past the danger of a hard 24° freeze...". This is not true. Your 80% column is the date there is an 80% chance of NOT being past the 24deg frost. The column where there is an 80% chance of being past the 24deg frost is in fact labeled 20%....unless you meant the chart to refer to the comparable latitude in the southern hemisphere...
Name: Philip Becker
Fresno California (Zone 8a)
Mar 28, 2018 6:22 AM CST
Howdy there : Rambler person. 😀
👍To you.
You can't rely on all the safe frost charts, or planting date guides.
For example : The USDA guide, says thank my safe frost date is, February 4th. There is a planting guide. That tells me, that I can direct seed tomatoes, February 5th.
I'm going ! What, No way !
Hear, February weather is usually in the lows of freezing to low 40s. Highs in 50s to 60s. Tomato seeds ! outside 😮!!! wouldn't even sprout.
We had frost 3 times this month.

Fresno's safe frost date is April 15th.

I'LL advise you to, BEST ! Ask a local farmer, or an experienced local gardener when your safe frost is.

Have a Rambler kind of day 👍😀

Gee !🤔!!! I miss my o'l 1965 Rambler, Ambassador. 😭

Anything i say, could be misrepresented, or wrong.
Estacada, OR
Mar 28, 2018 11:26 AM CST
Thanks, Phil. Preaching to the choir. I've seen a lot of sites with misleading info. In my case, frost dates vary greatly with altitude. My town (Estacada OR, 4 miles by the crow) shows a date based on the town center's el. of 455'. We sit well above that at 1,155'. NGA's chart is reasonably accurate (at least it's consistent with other trusted sites). My point is their example aids for reading the chart are incorrect.
Name: Rick R.
Minneapolis, MN, USA zone 4
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Sages The WITWIT Badge Garden Photography Region: Minnesota Hybridizer
Seed Starter Plant Identifier Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Mar 28, 2018 3:51 PM CST
The problem has been brought up before
The thread "Frost Dates Chart" in Ask a Question forum
and there has been no explanation for the antithetical meaning of the preface wording to the charts.
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers. - Socrates
Estacada, OR
Mar 28, 2018 4:15 PM CST
Thanks!! I was beginning to think my thinker was not thinking straight! After reviewing the other thread you referenced, I agree we've done all we can to help out NGA with their site. If they don't want to change it, oh well.

« Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by IrisLilli and is called "Poppies Galore"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.