Tropicals forum→Wanted Variegated monstera cutting

Views: 8737, Replies: 15 » Jump to the end
Shelton, CT (Zone 7a)
Annat1927
May 17, 2018 9:28 PM CST
Hey my name is Anna, and I am OBSESSED with plants with big leaves. My living room is quite filled to the brim with them! *Blush* I have a regular monstera Adansonii but not the variegated type. I've just about exhausted all of my nearby nurseries and no luck Crying I've also looked around on the internet and they either are being sold for an outrageous price or sold out. Can anyone help a broke girl with a cutting? I can pay for it if need be (I just didn't want to pay +$80 for a 4" pot (as seen online) forever grateful for even just a view on this thread
Name: Karen
New Mexico (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Cactus and Succulents Plant Identifier Plays in the sandbox Greenhouse
Sempervivums Bromeliad Adeniums Morning Glories Avid Green Pages Reviewer Brugmansias
Image
plantmanager
May 17, 2018 9:40 PM CST
Welcome to NGA! I hope someone can get you a cutting, Anna. I just looked on Ebay and Etsy. It looks like plants sell on Ebay for from about $45 to $65. That's still really high! Good luck!
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
[Last edited by plantmanager - May 17, 2018 9:41 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1711979 (2)
Name: Alice
St. Johns, FL (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Master Gardener: Florida Organic Gardener Enjoys or suffers hot summers Dog Lover Hibiscus
Orchids Fruit Growers Tropicals Hummingbirder Garden Photography Container Gardener
Image
ardesia
May 18, 2018 5:00 AM CST
Welcome! Anna, I used to have one in the ground (and may still) but it never thrived. It usually comes back each year but never grows but a small leaf or two. I think it is just too cold for the variegated variety here, the green ones do fine. We just had a horrendous winter and everything is very slow to return in spite of the 90 degree weather recently. Let me watch for it, if it did make it through the freeze it is yours for the cost of postage.
alice
Minds are like parachutes; they work better when they are open.
Name: Alice
St. Johns, FL (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Master Gardener: Florida Organic Gardener Enjoys or suffers hot summers Dog Lover Hibiscus
Orchids Fruit Growers Tropicals Hummingbirder Garden Photography Container Gardener
Image
ardesia
May 18, 2018 6:15 AM CST
I just checked and sure enough a tiny leaf is poking through. It is only about 1 1/2" at his point and the rhizome is slim and just a few inches. It would easily fit into a small flat rate priority mail box, that costs $7.20.
Should you want to gamble on it, send me a private mail (click on my name above, Ardesia, then "send a tree mail") with your address, etc.

I'd be happy to send you a picture if you would like to see this little one first.
Minds are like parachutes; they work better when they are open.

radansonii
Aug 21, 2018 9:58 PM CST
Are you looking for a variegated monstera adansonii or a monstera deliciosa? Deliciosa's have the large leaves. If you have found a variegated monstera adansonii please let me know! Hurray!
Shelton, CT (Zone 7a)
Annat1927
Aug 21, 2018 11:23 PM CST
Hey radansonii, I actually meant the monstera deliciosa (MY APOLOGIES I JUST SAW THAT MISTAKE AND ITS BEEN MONTHS), although I am definitely aware of how pricey the variegated adansonii is! If I thought the variegated deliciosa was pricey, then the adansonii is miles beyond Blinking I do wish you good luck on finding one Crossing Fingers! Crossing Fingers! I just saw a post about how an auction on ebay is currently at like $1,000 bids. Will definitely keep my eyes and ears out I'm all ears!
Name: aud/odd
Pennsylvania (Zone 6b)
Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
Cinta
Sep 5, 2018 4:44 PM CST
I cannot believe the price of the plants in this family. I saw one last night for 810.00. I do not understand.
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Sep 18, 2018 12:46 PM CST
Yes this is crazy. About 10-11 years ago, I was at my local botanical garden spring plant sale. A vendor there had large variegated Monstera (deliciosa) in 2 gallon containers for $10. At least 3 mature big leaves per plant. This is NO JOKE. I bought four even though I already had one at home. I cannot believe the cost of these plants now. What I have learned over the years about these plants is this (here at my house anyway, it may be a totally different story at your house): if they cannot climb the way they want to, they will not thrive. I fortunately can give my plants all the space they require. But I would never pop for the big bucks to grow this plant indoors.
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!

Saveserenity
Oct 11, 2018 5:20 PM CST
Would you be willing to send me a cutting?? I'm desperate too and no one I know owns any 😂😂


Gina1960 said:Yes this is crazy. About 10-11 years ago, I was at my local botanical garden spring plant sale. A vendor there had large variegated Monstera (deliciosa) in 2 gallon containers for $10. At least 3 mature big leaves per plant. This is NO JOKE. I bought four even though I already had one at home. I cannot believe the cost of these plants now. What I have learned over the years about these plants is this (here at my house anyway, it may be a totally different story at your house): if they cannot climb the way they want to, they will not thrive. I fortunately can give my plants all the space they require. But I would never pop for the big bucks to grow this plant indoors.



Saveserenity
Oct 11, 2018 5:21 PM CST
If you're still selling, please let me know! Thanks!

ardesia said:I just checked and sure enough a tiny leaf is poking through. It is only about 1 1/2" at his point and the rhizome is slim and just a few inches. It would easily fit into a small flat rate priority mail box, that costs $7.20.
Should you want to gamble on it, send me a private mail (click on my name above, Ardesia, then "send a tree mail") with your address, etc.

I'd be happy to send you a picture if you would like to see this little one first.



Saveserenity
Oct 11, 2018 5:22 PM CST
I'm still searching for a veriegated monstera, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
Name: Gina
Florida (Zone 9a)
Tropical plant collector 35 years
Region: Florida Tropicals Aroids
Image
Gina1960
Oct 11, 2018 5:58 PM CST
I'm sorry, but I don't sell, trade or mail plants anymore, especially out of state, and I don't ever cut my monsteras. They are growing too well and I don't want to interrupt their progress. I know what it is like to really want a plant and not be able to find it. I hope that you find one!
Award winning beaded art at ceinwin.deviantart.com!

Agirlhasnoname
May 10, 2019 6:33 PM CST
Did anyone ever find any verigated monstera? I know I'm a little late to this party but I'm also interested in finding some cuttings.
Name: Mike
Hollywood Fl
Tropicals
Waykoolplantz
May 11, 2019 3:25 AM CST
This was brought to our Croton Party last month
Thumb of 2019-05-11/Waykoolplantz/7eff94


Zzzz_Moore
May 18, 2019 10:01 PM CST
Hello, I am very interested in a variegated monstera cutting. I'm not picky at all on if it is an Adosonii or a deliciosa, really I just want a variegated version of this type of plant I'm excited. I hope someone on here could help me out! Lovey dubby

Bodhijungle
Nov 29, 2019 7:35 PM CST
ardesia said: Welcome! Anna, I used to have one in the ground (and may still) but it never thrived. It usually comes back each year but never grows but a small leaf or two. I think it is just too cold for the variegated variety here, the green ones do fine. We just had a horrendous winter and everything is very slow to return in spite of the 90 degree weather recently. Let me watch for it, if it did make it through the freeze it is yours for the cost of postage.
alice

HI I would love to buy or trade if you still have this baby!

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Tropicals forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by lauriemorningglory and is called "Sundrops"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.