Post a reply

Avatar for kkcappello
May 19, 2018 5:36 PM CST
Massachusetts
Recently, the company who fertilizes and takes care of my lawn did a tick and mosquito spray on my yard including my 4 garden beds. The next day I noticed that 40-50% of my plants/flower leaves look burned and have started to wilt, some worse than others. I'm afraid that this will stunt the growth on a lot of my flowers. Has this ever happened to anybody? What should I do to try and save my gardens? My friend who is an avid gardener recommended organic fish fertilizer to give them a boost.

Last year, they sprayed from May-August and it didn't affect my plants/flowers at all and did a great job repelling mosquitos and ticks. I have contacted the company and complained, hopefully will receive a refund. Any advice would be helpful! I'm so upset.
Thumb of 2018-05-19/kkcappello/091072
Thumb of 2018-05-19/kkcappello/110cc7
Thumb of 2018-05-19/kkcappello/1c3479
Thumb of 2018-05-19/kkcappello/b3b2e5
Thumb of 2018-05-19/kkcappello/b709d3
Last edited by kkcappello May 19, 2018 5:46 PM Icon for preview
Avatar for porkpal
May 19, 2018 6:00 PM CST
Name: Porkpal
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
Cat Lover Charter ATP Member Keeper of Poultry I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Dog Lover Keeps Horses
Roses Plant Identifier Farmer Raises cows Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Garden Ideas: Level 2
I would rinse everything off with lots of water and see how they do.
Porkpal
Avatar for kkcappello
May 19, 2018 6:19 PM CST
Massachusetts
porkpal said:I would rinse everything off with lots of water and see how they do.


Luckily it rained all day today, so we'll see.
Image
May 19, 2018 6:32 PM CST
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Did the lawn company spray your yard on a sunny day? Did they change products?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Avatar for kkcappello
May 19, 2018 7:17 PM CST
Massachusetts
DaisyI said:Did the lawn company spray your yard on a sunny day? Did they change products?


Yes it was sunny, but not hot. I'm going to talk with them on Monday again when they open and I will ask them.
Last edited by kkcappello May 19, 2018 7:18 PM Icon for preview
Image
May 19, 2018 7:23 PM CST
Name: Cheryl
North of Houston TX (Zone 9a)
Region: Texas Greenhouse Plant Identifier Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Plumerias Ponds
Foliage Fan Enjoys or suffers hot summers Tropicals Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Such a shame! Good luck.
I've come to the conclusion my almost 23 year old crepe myrtle is reacting to Ortho Poison Ivy spray. I sprayed it only on the PI I saw. And yet the tree behind a fence, 15 ft away is looking poorly.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh
uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you Smile.
Image
May 19, 2018 7:49 PM CST
Name: Carol
Santa Ana, ca
Sunset zone 22, USDA zone 10 A.
Bookworm Charter ATP Member Region: California Hummingbirder Orchids Plant Identifier
Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
I have two hard and fast rules for spraying (1) never spray anything when sunny, and (2) never spray anything when there is ANY breeze. Even without a breeze the air pressure can cause drift, and of course any wet leaves can sunburn when wet.
Avatar for kkcappello
May 20, 2018 7:10 AM CST
Massachusetts
ctcarol said:I have two hard and fast rules for spraying (1) never spray anything when sunny, and (2) never spray anything when there is ANY breeze. Even without a breeze the air pressure can cause drift, and of course any wet leaves can sunburn when wet.



Thanks for the advice!
Image
May 20, 2018 4:24 PM CST
Name: Danita
GA (Zone 7b)
Charter ATP Member Forum moderator Hummingbirder Salvias Butterflies Birds
Plant Identifier Vegetable Grower Container Gardener Seed Starter Cat Lover Region: Georgia
Another possibility is that someone got sloppy and used a sprayer that had previously been used for weed killer. I've heard of that happening before.

I'm so sorry about your lovely plants being damaged. Sad
Image
May 20, 2018 4:30 PM CST
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4b)
Annuals Native Plants and Wildflowers Keeps Horses Dog Lover Daylilies Region: Canadian
Butterflies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Danita said:Another possibility is that someone got sloppy and used a sprayer that had previously been used for weed killer. I've heard of that happening before.


I wondered the same thing. It would be interesting to know the name of the product. However, I have seen damage by DEET to turf, as in these pictures:

https://www.extension.iastate....
Image
May 20, 2018 4:42 PM CST
Name: Elaine
Sarasota, Fl
The one constant in life is change
Amaryllis Tropicals Multi-Region Gardener Orchids Master Gardener: Florida Irises
Herbs Region: Florida Vegetable Grower Daylilies Birds Cat Lover
Deet is an oily product, so any plant it was sprayed on would have fried leaves if the sun got on them before the oil was washed off or absorbed. Deet is for people, not plants anyway!

You really do need to find out exactly what it was that they used to spray your plants. Best to do this before they burn somebody else's garden using the same stuff. If it was an oil spray like some sort of horticultural oil, you should use a very mild soapy water solution to wash your plants off, then rinse immediately with the hose.

Even if it was just an insecticidal soap spray, the soap is a surfactant and can make some plants hyper-sensitive to sun. I'm betting it was one of the two. You should ask them for your money back, and not employ that landscape company any more. (besides soap spray for insects is so cheap and easy to do you can do it yourself)
Elaine

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." –Winston Churchill
Image
May 20, 2018 5:08 PM CST
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4b)
Annuals Native Plants and Wildflowers Keeps Horses Dog Lover Daylilies Region: Canadian
Butterflies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Yep, DEET is for people, but it was people spraying it on themselves that damaged the turf, as in the pictures.
Avatar for kkcappello
May 20, 2018 7:29 PM CST
Massachusetts
Danita said:Another possibility is that someone got sloppy and used a sprayer that had previously been used for weed killer. I've heard of that happening before.

I'm so sorry about your lovely plants being damaged. Sad


Thanks, yes, that is very well could be possible, I will find out more information tomorrow! Ugh
Avatar for kkcappello
May 20, 2018 7:31 PM CST
Massachusetts
sooby said:

I wondered the same thing. It would be interesting to know the name of the product. However, I have seen damage by DEET to turf, as in these pictures:



It could have been DEET, I will find out exactly what the solution was tomorrow when they open again. Thanks!
Avatar for kkcappello
May 20, 2018 7:34 PM CST
Massachusetts
dyzzypyxxy said:Deet is an oily product, so any plant it was sprayed on would have fried leaves if the sun got on them before the oil was washed off or absorbed. Deet is for people, not plants anyway!

You really do need to find out exactly what it was that they used to spray your plants. Best to do this before they burn somebody else's garden using the same stuff. If it was an oil spray like some sort of horticultural oil, you should use a very mild soapy water solution to wash your plants off, then rinse immediately with the hose.

Even if it was just an insecticidal soap spray, the soap is a surfactant and can make some plants hyper-sensitive to sun. I'm betting it was one of the two. You should ask them for your money back, and not employ that landscape company any more. (besides soap spray for insects is so cheap and easy to do you can do it yourself)


Thank you for that information. It could possibly been either DEET or that insecticidal soap, I will find out exactly what they sprayed tomorrow when they open again. Will let you know, I am going to ask for my money back, we'll see what they say, I don't know if I'm going to do business with them after this Sighing!
Avatar for MindiHammerstone
May 20, 2018 10:44 PM CST
Name: Mindi Hammerstone
Tracy, CA (Zone 9b)
Dog Lover Dragonflies
Iam sorry about your plants. That's a real bummer. I hope that you get your money back and that your flowers recover. I definitely wouldn't work with them again. But that's just me, and my opinion.

Cheers!!!

Mindi
Image
May 21, 2018 4:22 AM CST
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4b)
Annuals Native Plants and Wildflowers Keeps Horses Dog Lover Daylilies Region: Canadian
Butterflies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Garden Sages Plant Identifier
kkcappello said:

Thank you for that information. It could possibly been either DEET or that insecticidal soap, I will find out exactly what they sprayed tomorrow when they open again. Will let you know, I am going to ask for my money back, we'll see what they say, I don't know if I'm going to do business with them after this Sighing!


I don't think (or at least hope) they wouldn't have deliberately sprayed anything with DEET in it but I just mentioned that to show that bug sprays can be unintentionally harmful to plants. I'd be surprised also if insecticidal soap would cause the plants to actually wilt and collapse as they have, and they also seem to have white residue/specks of some kind. Hopefully you can find out what they used (and maybe whether they calibrated the sprayer correctly if it was the same as last time).
Avatar for kkcappello
May 21, 2018 7:15 AM CST
Massachusetts
sooby said:

I don't think (or at least hope) they wouldn't have deliberately sprayed anything with DEET in it but I just mentioned that to show that bug sprays can be unintentionally harmful to plants. I'd be surprised also if insecticidal soap would cause the plants to actually wilt and collapse as they have, and they also seem to have white residue/specks of some kind. Hopefully you can find out what they used (and maybe whether they calibrated the sprayer correctly if it was the same as last time).


So the owner came out and looked at my yard this morning and said that most likely what happened is that the guy who sprayed the tick and mosquito didn't clean out the container well and left some fertilizer or weed killer in the spray which is why all my plants are burned. They are going to reimburse me $500 worth of new flowers, which I'm happy about.
Avatar for kkcappello
May 21, 2018 7:16 AM CST
Massachusetts
dyzzypyxxy said:Deet is an oily product, so any plant it was sprayed on would have fried leaves if the sun got on them before the oil was washed off or absorbed. Deet is for people, not plants anyway!

You really do need to find out exactly what it was that they used to spray your plants. Best to do this before they burn somebody else's garden using the same stuff. If it was an oil spray like some sort of horticultural oil, you should use a very mild soapy water solution to wash your plants off, then rinse immediately with the hose.

Even if it was just an insecticidal soap spray, the soap is a surfactant and can make some plants hyper-sensitive to sun. I'm betting it was one of the two. You should ask them for your money back, and not employ that landscape company any more. (besides soap spray for insects is so cheap and easy to do you can do it yourself)


Turns out it was weed killer, the owner came out and look at my gardens, said this should have never happened and that the guy didn't clean out the container correctly. He was very nice and apologized, they are going to reimburse me $500 worth of new flowers.
Avatar for MindiHammerstone
May 21, 2018 7:20 AM CST
Name: Mindi Hammerstone
Tracy, CA (Zone 9b)
Dog Lover Dragonflies
Well that was awesome of the guy to reimburse you like that. That will be a lot of flowers. I don't know about the soil?

But for someone to stand up and tell the truth and not make up excuses speaks a lot!!

Cheers!

😀

Mindi

Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by RachaelHunter and is called "Hydrangea"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.