Ask a Question forum: Money plant dying

Views: 117, Replies: 1 » Jump to the end
Scotland
DianneTurpin
May 29, 2018 8:36 AM CST
Hello, I am looking for advice to help my mum whose money tree plant appears to be dying. She has had this plant for over 30 years and it is incredible until the past couple of weeks. A while back she put a brass tray at the bottom of it to try and support the weight of it, but recently it is showing signs of dying. The leaves are turning pink and others just falling off everywhere and it's never done this. The tray has turned a green fungus looking appearance almost like oxidised and she is so worried the plant has been poisoned via the roots from the brass.

Can anyone suggest anything to try and remove toxins from a plant or a way to restore it? She is so upset about this so anything any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Image
DaisyI
May 29, 2018 1:16 PM CST
Welcome!

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Copper in high concentrations is highly toxic to plants so yes, your Mum's plant is being poisoned. You can try flushing the soil with lots of water - I'm not sure what else to suggest.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "One Inch Miniature Orchid "

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.