I have been just dabbling in the hybridizing side of daylilies, so no expert, but here is my little experience.
The first year, I started a bunch of seeds inside and then moved them into biodegradable cups and planted them in an above ground garden box. That fall, I covered them real well with leaves. I figured if they didn't survive, than they probably wouldn't be hardy enough for 5B. I had about 8 of 12 survive. One even bloomed last year. This year, there are 5 surviving plants (3 died last summer).
So then last year, I had a ton of seeds, procrastinated and then suddenly it was June! So I again took disposable cups and put the seeds in each cup, in groups of 5-10, based on their pod. They grew and grew and winter came and I again covered them with leaves. I had about 8 cups. Three cups never germinated or they died pretty quick. This spring, I had 5 cups that were thriving and just seperated them all out into that raised flower bed last week. They are all about 6-8 inches tall with nice roots and tubers.
I still need to go empty out the refridge and do this year's batch.