Post a reply

Avatar for NightCrow
Jun 1, 2018 5:56 PM CST
New-Brunswick, Canada
Québec, Canada

Thumb of 2018-06-01/NightCrow/0d0e8e
Thumb of 2018-06-01/NightCrow/766d85
Thumb of 2018-06-01/NightCrow/180ee8
Thumb of 2018-06-01/NightCrow/59ebbd
Image
Jun 1, 2018 6:25 PM CST
Name: Janine
NE Connecticut (Zone 6a)
Cat Lover Native Plants and Wildflowers Region: Connecticut Seed Starter Herbs Plant and/or Seed Trader
Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Phlox subulata/Creeping Phlox
Image
Jun 1, 2018 6:33 PM CST
Name: Lin Vosbury
Sebastian, Florida (Zone 10a)

Region: United States of America Region: Ukraine Region: Florida Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Birds Butterflies Bee Lover Hummingbirder Container Gardener Houseplants
Yes, Creeping Phlox (Phlox subulata)

There's an article on this page of the Canadian Encyclopedia, listing the different varieties that grow in your country: http://thecanadianencyclopedia...
~ I'm an old gal who still loves playing in the dirt!
~ Playing in the dirt is my therapy ... and I'm in therapy a lot!


Last edited by plantladylin Jun 2, 2018 5:50 AM Icon for preview
Image
Jun 1, 2018 7:40 PM CST
Name: Amanda
KC metro area, Missouri (Zone 6a)
Bookworm Cat Lover Dog Lover Region: Missouri Native Plants and Wildflowers Roses
Region: United States of America Zinnias Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Phlox subulata/Creeping Phlox. It's none of the others. This is the only creeping one there is. Slow grower but long lived.
Image
Jun 1, 2018 9:43 PM CST
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Not to be rude but, why are we supplying all these ID's with binomial names? Are you trying to ID all the plants in your new yard? Is this for a class? An exercise to test our abilities? I'm asking because, first, there are a lot of needed ID's. And second, you aren't providing a lot of info except for "Québec, Canada". Just curious...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Image
Jun 2, 2018 2:52 AM CST
Perthshire. SCOTLAND. UK
Garden Photography Region: United Kingdom Plant Identifier
I believe plants above are Phlox subulata......common name creeping phlox, moss phlox, moss pink, or mountain phlox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

However there is actually another creeping Phlox..... Phlox douglasii....common name tufted phlox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

It comes in several colours. Maybe slower growing .....less vigorous.
The flowers looks very similar to Phlox subulata.
Avatar for NightCrow
Jun 2, 2018 3:27 AM CST
New-Brunswick, Canada
DaisyI said:Not to be rude but, why are we supplying all these ID's with binomial names? Are you trying to ID all the plants in your new yard? Is this for a class? An exercise to test our abilities? I'm asking because, first, there are a lot of needed ID's. And second, you aren't providing a lot of info except for "Québec, Canada". Just curious...


I'm into specie identification and I'm trying to reach my 250 identified species goal and I need some help to find a few binomial name, that's all :P
Image
Jun 2, 2018 4:54 AM CST
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4b)
Annuals Native Plants and Wildflowers Keeps Horses Dog Lover Daylilies Region: Canadian
Butterflies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Just FYI, NightCrow, since you're doing some kind of project you might need to also know that the word is species whether singular or plural, specie actually means something else (something to do with coins/money according to Wikipedia).
Avatar for NightCrow
Jun 2, 2018 11:55 AM CST
New-Brunswick, Canada
sooby said:Just FYI, NightCrow, since you're doing some kind of project you might need to also know that the word is species whether singular or plural, specie actually means something else (something to do with coins/money according to Wikipedia).



I guess I still have a few flaws when it comes to English :P This is just a project of mine to actually learn a thing or two about botany and other things and it's all written in french so the word ''specie'' wouldn't be in these projects :P But thanks for the information, still really good to know! ;)
Image
Jun 2, 2018 2:29 PM CST
Perthshire. SCOTLAND. UK
Garden Photography Region: United Kingdom Plant Identifier
NightCrow said:I'm into specie identification and I'm trying to reach my 250 identified species :P



That is a very hard task.
Take it slowly.
You will find it very hard to remember the Latin names of 250 plants .

Have you thought of getting a really nice book full of pics of garden plants.
The more you look at it the more you will remember what the plants look like.
Image
Jun 2, 2018 2:36 PM CST
Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4b)
Annuals Native Plants and Wildflowers Keeps Horses Dog Lover Daylilies Region: Canadian
Butterflies Birds Enjoys or suffers cold winters Garden Sages Plant Identifier
Since the French would be espece (can't do the accent on the e on this iPad - well I probably could but I don't know how) I can see how that would seem to logically turn into specie.
Image
Jun 2, 2018 4:57 PM CST
Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Garden Sages Plant Identifier
NightCrow, Instead of memorizing names, learn the characteristics of families of plants, the genuses within the families, and then the species. Its so much easier if you can look at the characteristics of a plant and categorize it. For instance, all members of the mint family have square stems (but not all square stemmed plants are mints). But with other mint family characteristics (opposite leaves, usually aromatic smelling and with distinctive flowers), you could narrow the choices way down.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming...."WOW What a Ride!!" -Mark Frost

President: Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Webmaster: osnnv.org
Avatar for NightCrow
Jun 11, 2018 12:49 AM CST
New-Brunswick, Canada
Silversurfer said:


That is a very hard task.
Take it slowly.
You will find it very hard to remember the Latin names of 250 plants .

Have you thought of getting a really nice book full of pics of garden plants.
The more you look at it the more you will remember what the plants look like.


Well, I identify a bit of everything, birds, trees, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, mushrooms, insects, molusca even flowers now. Flower is my latest addition to my ID group. I have a powerpoint/presentation for every type of thing that I'm trying to learn about, 1 page per species, with all the info needed (common and scientific names, edibility/toxicity and more) and pictures. It's really time consuming to do these presentations, but I'm learning and remembering a lot more that way and I can always take a quick look at them if I don't remember something. All this to say, that my goal is 250 species in total, not just flowers ;P Currently standing at 163 species identified Smiling
Avatar for NightCrow
Jun 11, 2018 12:55 AM CST
New-Brunswick, Canada
DaisyI said:NightCrow, Instead of memorizing names, learn the characteristics of families of plants, the genuses within the families, and then the species. Its so much easier if you can look at the characteristics of a plant and categorize it. For instance, all members of the mint family have square stems (but not all square stemmed plants are mints). But with other mint family characteristics (opposite leaves, usually aromatic smelling and with distinctive flowers), you could narrow the choices way down.


I identify a bit of everything, birds, trees, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, mushrooms, insects, molusca even flowers now. Flower is my latest addition to my ID group. I have a powerpoint/presentation for every type of thing that I'm trying to learn about, 1 page per species, with all the info needed (common and scientific names, edibility/toxicity and more) and pictures. It's really time consuming to do these presentations, but I'm learning and remembering a lot more that way and I can always take a quick look at them if I don't remember something. When I start a new group of thing I'm trying to learn about, it's always more difficult, but after a few, I see the characteristics of certain Orders/Families and it gets easier to ID and to remember some things
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Deep Fuchsia Color Azalea Blooms"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.