Roses forum: Did I do the right thing?

Views: 525, Replies: 13 » Jump to the end
Name: Peggy
Kankakee Illinois (Zone 5b)
PineapplePeg
Jul 4, 2018 11:36 PM CST
I'm really new at this and know Nothing about roses. I just started my 1st rose garden . Well things were off to a great start. I planted my little bushes the 2nd week in June. They were growing and blooming then I got aphids, ants and Japanese beetles. I sprinkled cinnamon and it chased away the ants. that's when I saw the beetles.
I removed my wood mulch and have replaced it with cedar chips. Will the cedar chips help? I can not wait to have cuttings to trade! Im about 60 miles south of Chicago


Thumb of 2018-07-05/PineapplePeg/08314b
This is my gold medal rose

Thumb of 2018-07-05/PineapplePeg/f0e51c

Coastal Southern California (Zone 13a)
Image
jerijen
Jul 5, 2018 9:30 AM CST
Aphids are easy peasy lemon squeezy. You can brush them off, or wash them off with a hose. Birds eat them. That's so cool! We get flocks of little Bush Tits that fly in, and eat every aphid they can find. But if you spray, of course, that won't happen.

Ants and aphids aren't a good combo. Ants actually "farm" aphids, and get a sort of "honeydew" off of them. So if the cinnamon chases off the ants, that's good. (I've stuck cinnamon sticks into the ground.)

But the Japanese Beetles ... Most folks I know pick them off the roses and drown them in a handy bucket of water. Later in the year, they won't be around.

But others will give you more information.
Name: Peggy
Kankakee Illinois (Zone 5b)
PineapplePeg
Jul 5, 2018 12:08 PM CST
jerijen said:Aphids are easy peasy lemon squeezy. You can brush them off, or wash them off with a hose. Birds eat them. That's so cool! We get flocks of little Bush Tits that fly in, and eat every aphid they can find. But if you spray, of course, that won't happen.

Ants and aphids aren't a good combo. Ants actually "farm" aphids, and get a sort of "honeydew" off of them. So if the cinnamon chases off the ants, that's good. (I've stuck cinnamon sticks into the ground.)

But the Japanese Beetles ... Most folks I know pick them off the roses and drown them in a handy bucket of water. Later in the year, they won't be around.

But others will give you more information.


Thank you! I was wondering what the wrens were eating. I planted a Queen Elizabeth rose and there is almost nothing left. It wasn't that good to start with. It was a bag rose with only 2 branches but it seemed to be the bugs favorite. I can't use straw for mulch because I live in the woods and it would be full of mice and I don't really want to use spray because I'm afraid I'll over do it and kill my plants. I can't grow any house plants because I kill them with kindness . Lol that's why I am shocked and amazed my rose had started to flourish.
Coastal Southern California (Zone 13a)
Image
jerijen
Jul 5, 2018 12:29 PM CST
Yeah, a better plant of Queen Elizabeth might do better for you. Next year!

And hopefully, others, who are closer to your own climate, might be able to suggest some roses that are well-suited to your conditions . . . that gives 'em a head start.
Name: Shyam
San Francisco, CA (Zone 10b)
Image
Rose_Guy1127
Jul 8, 2018 12:57 PM CST
From a first-time rosarian to another, I suffered from slight aphid issue myself when I started growing my roses in containers. I bought a pack of ladybugs from the local nursery and set them free on the rose plants. That did the trick for me. I could've easily picked them off or like Jerijen suggested wash them off with a hose. I remember Zuzu mentioning that aphids don't have lungs so once they are brushed off on to the ground, they become a meal for good bugs.

I haven't suffered an invasion of Japenese beetles...yet. However, I remember my grandma using Japanese beetle bags that she hung nearby her rose bushes. And it kept her rose bushes free of it; she replaces the bags regularly. It always creeped me out looking at a pretty heavy bag full of beetles. Amazon has Japanese beetle bags, another option for you to consider.
Name: Peggy
Kankakee Illinois (Zone 5b)
PineapplePeg
Jul 8, 2018 7:26 PM CST
Rose_Guy1127 said:From a first-time rosarian to another, I suffered from slight aphid issue myself when I started growing my roses in containers. I bought a pack of ladybugs from the local nursery and set them free on the rose plants. That did the trick for me. I could've easily picked them off or like Jerijen suggested wash them off with a hose. I remember Zuzu mentioning that aphids don't have lungs so once they are brushed off on to the ground, they become a meal for good bugs.

I haven't suffered an invasion of Japenese beetles...yet. However, I remember my grandma using Japanese beetle bags that she hung nearby her rose bushes. And it kept her rose bushes free of it; she replaces the bags regularly. It always creeped me out looking at a pretty heavy bag full of beetles. Amazon has Japanese beetle bags, another option for you to consider.

Thank you I'm gonna look for bags. I went to a local nursery they said all they've ever used is dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle. So I tried it and it seems to really be working. My roses are much better and have new blooms on them.
Name: Zuzu
Northern California (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Region: California Cat Lover Roses Clematis Irises
Garden Ideas: Level 2 Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier Garden Sages Forum moderator Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Image
zuzu
Jul 8, 2018 7:39 PM CST

Moderator

Gee, I could have sworn that I added a post after Rose_Guy's, saying he must have heard that about aphids' lack of lungs from someone else. I know nothing about aphid anatomy.

I must have added that post to a different thread, where it will make no sense at all. Hilarious!
Name: Peggy
Kankakee Illinois (Zone 5b)
PineapplePeg
Jul 8, 2018 8:03 PM CST
zuzu said:Gee, I could have sworn that I added a post after Rose_Guy's, saying he must have heard that about aphids' lack of lungs from someone else. I know nothing about aphid anatomy.

I must have added that post to a different thread, where it will make no sense at all. Hilarious!


I'm the long run my Japanese beetle problem was a blessing. I went to a nursery for help and while there I got 5 new rose bushes 21/2 or 3 gallon they just put them out for $5 each! I can't believe how addictive this is! Now I'm worried what will I do during the winter months. Thank everyone for all the help and for not making me feel stupid. The $5 roses I got Happy go lucky, In the mood, sun flare, sun struck and easy does it. They are all healthy and a couple are ready to bloom.
Name: Zuzu
Northern California (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Region: California Cat Lover Roses Clematis Irises
Garden Ideas: Level 2 Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier Garden Sages Forum moderator Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Image
zuzu
Jul 8, 2018 8:05 PM CST

Moderator

$5? That's so exciting!
Name: Peggy
Kankakee Illinois (Zone 5b)
PineapplePeg
Jul 8, 2018 8:32 PM CST
Even the cashier was excited she said honey you just got 5 cheaper than what a single bush cost.
This is my $5 In The Mood rose
Thumb of 2018-07-09/PineapplePeg/7cb1af

Name: Lyn
Weaverville, California (Zone 8a)
Garden Ideas: Level 1 Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
RoseBlush1
Jul 8, 2018 9:21 PM CST
zuzu said:Gee, I could have sworn that I added a post after Rose_Guy's, saying he must have heard that about aphids' lack of lungs from someone else. I know nothing about aphid anatomy.

I must have added that post to a different thread, where it will make no sense at all. Hilarious!



That info about the aphids not having lungs came from me, Zuzu .... Hilarious! It's in the container gardening thread that Sue moved over from the ASK A QUESTION forum.

It's true that aphids are easy to manage by just washing them off.

I'd rather weed than dust ... the weeds stay gone longer.
Name: Shyam
San Francisco, CA (Zone 10b)
Image
Rose_Guy1127
Jul 8, 2018 10:05 PM CST
RoseBlush1 said:


That info about the aphids not having lungs came from me, Zuzu .... Hilarious! It's in the container gardening thread that Sue moved over from the ASK A QUESTION forum.

It's true that aphids are easy to manage by just washing them off.



I was debating if it was you or Zuzu! Oh well!
Hilarious!
Name: Lyn
Weaverville, California (Zone 8a)
Garden Ideas: Level 1 Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
RoseBlush1
Jul 8, 2018 11:22 PM CST
Hi Guy ....

It doesn't matter. We are on the same team ... Hilarious! Hilarious!
I'd rather weed than dust ... the weeds stay gone longer.

Flowerdoom
Jul 17, 2018 8:22 PM CST
I use neem oil ...is that bad? It seems to do a pretty good job...I get aphids and spider mites pretty bad but it seems like if I spray the bushes down in the spring before they get out of control then I don't have a problem later in the season....I'm a complete amateur so any advice is always welcome

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Roses forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by greenappleagnes and is called "Swallowtail and Verbena"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.