Avatar for bloodaxe
Mar 18, 2012 2:27 AM CST
Thread OP

We live near Sydney in Australia.
Alocasia Brisbanensis grow's prolifically here without the pests and diseases of most other plants. I understand that they are edible when thoroughly cooked.
Does anyone know how to process this plant into an edible state, or is it just too toxic? Ta. Bloodaxe
Avatar for tropicbreeze
Mar 18, 2012 3:00 AM CST

Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
The best advice is to not eat it. It was eaten by Aborigines after a long involved preparation process. But you need to remember that not all toxins are removed by these processes. One of the reasons they're free of pests and diseases is because of the toxins they contain, an evolutionary defence against things that try to eat them. You're better off going for some of the varieties of Alocasia macrorrhizos that have had most of the toxins bred out of them during thousands of years of cultivation. Burke and Wills hastened their deaths by eating some native foods they had no idea how to prepare properly.
Last edited by tropicbreeze Mar 31, 2012 1:22 AM Icon for preview
Avatar for bloodaxe
Mar 28, 2012 8:50 PM CST
Thread OP

Many thanks. that advice is well appreciated.
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
  • Started by: bloodaxe
  • Replies: 2, views: 1,150
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )