Irises forum: Starting Iris seeds....

Page 7 of 18 • 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Views: 8640, Replies: 358 » Jump to the end
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 17, 2018 2:17 PM CST
evelyninthegarden said:Sergio ~ Let us know what you do, and the results. We are all learning together.

Isn't this fun? Hurray!


of course it's great! Also remarkable is that many, including me, this year trying to do crossing for the first time Hurray!
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 17, 2018 2:21 PM CST
if interested, you can write down what varieties I have formed pods
Name: Robin
Melbourne, Australia (Zone 10b)
Region: Australia Irises Garden Photography Cat Lover Seed Starter
Image
Totally_Amazing
Oct 17, 2018 3:02 PM CST
Congratulations Serjio Hurray! It will be exciting in a few years time when they all bloom.
Name: Barbara
Northern CA (Zone 9a)
Region: California Cat Lover Irises Enjoys or suffers hot summers Dog Lover
Image
iciris
Oct 17, 2018 4:12 PM CST
Serjio said:if interested, you can write down what varieties I have formed pods


I would love to know what crosses you tried and got seed pods on. I tip my hat to you.
• “Whoever said, ‘Do something right and you won’t have to do it again’ never weeded a garden.” – Anonymous
Name: daphne
san diego county, ca (Zone 10a)
Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Image
shizen
Oct 17, 2018 5:42 PM CST
I'm all ears! i am all ears, too, sergio. i would love to know which ones you crossed.
Name: Jan Wax
Mendocino County, N. CA (Zone 9a)
I'm a studio potter.
Hummingbirder Dog Lover Irises Region: California Organic Gardener Dahlias
Garden Art Cat Lover Vegetable Grower Birds Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
janwax
Oct 17, 2018 6:58 PM CST
...and how many seeds did you end up with out of 85 pods, Serjio? ! Drooling
let the mystery be
[Last edited by janwax - Oct 17, 2018 6:59 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1838836 (6)
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 18, 2018 12:25 AM CST
janwax said:...and how many seeds did you end up with out of 85 pods, Serjio? ! Drooling


I didn't count the total, but the average was 40-50 seeds per pod. We came across where there were only a few seeds. Two "Smart Money" pods had more than 80 in each. I think I have 3-4 thousand seeds now. My father lives in the same city as me, he got 135 pods this year. He didn't record the crosses, so he only knows the mother plants. The pollination process is so exciting that we are now confused where to plant it all! I think I'll have to look for plots to rent Confused
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 18, 2018 12:32 AM CST
When I removed the wilted flower stalks in may, I accidentally broke the stem with a pod without noticing it. He was Alive and well x Twilight Rhapsody. But I put the peduncle in the water, and the pod grew in a month and a half. The seeds weren't as big as the others. I am now very interested in whether they are viable. Also, I had a case where I couldn't extract the seeds from the cracked pods in time and they got moldy. There were 6 seeds of Mandrake x twilight Rhapsody. I processed these seeds and dried them in the sun. I wonder if they can grow after mold?
[Last edited by Serjio - Oct 18, 2018 1:22 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1838930 (8)
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 18, 2018 1:16 AM CST
here's a list of the crosses that gave the seeds.Since I tried this first year, my crosses were not thoughtful Big Grin

Fancy Dress X Milk In My Coffee
Enchanter X Milk In My Coffee
Stage Presense X Mysterioso
Astrology X Mysterioso
Splashacata X Butterfly Affair
Trand Master X Butterfly Affair
Smart Money X Sherbet Bomb
But Beautiful X Westpointer
Golly Gee Whiz X Westpointer
Smart Money X Twilight Rhapsody
Tango Amigo X Twilight Rhapsody
Secret Recipe X Twilight Rhapsody
Mandrake X Twilight Rhapsody
Westpointer X Twilight Rhapsody
Stop The Traffic X Twilight Rhapsody
Westpointer X Mysterioso
Chardonnay And Ice X Mysterioso
Burst X Secret Recipe
Team Player X Twilight Rhapsody
Chardonnay And Ice X Twilight Rhapsody
Alive And Well X Twilight Rhapsody
Monsoon Moon X Mood Ring
Luscious Lace X Mood Ring
One Of A Kind X Mood Ring
New Perspective X Westpointer
Cheap Frills X Butterfly Affair
Chardonnay And Ice X Butterfly Affair
Stop Flirting X Twilight Rhapsody
Monsoon Moon X Bush Honey
By Jeewes X Twilight Rhapsody
Aggressively Forward X One Of A Kind
High Octane X Rainbow High
Rio X Giorgio
Team Spirit X Magical
Glamour Pants X Twilight Rhapsody
Drama Queen X Twilight Rhapsody
Westpointer X Magical
Drifting Bubbles X Mixed Signals
Return Address X Palace Symphony
Rio X Palace Symphony
Siroccomist X Mixed Signals
Brilliant Idea X Mixed Signals
Racing At Randwick X Mixed Signals
Scatterbrain X Mixed Signals
Stop Flirting X Bratislavan Prince
Fall Fashion X Mood Ring
Study In Black X Twilight Rhapsody
Just Crazy X Mood Ring
Futuriste X Bratislavan Prince
One Last Kiss X Bush Honey
Tempesto X Mood Ring
Alpinview X Mood Ring
Wild Angel X Bratislavan Prince
Spring Madness X Wild Angel
Wild Angel X Flutterina
Flutterina X Certain Magic
Viking Dancer X Mandarin Morning
Holiday Spirit X Cross My Heart
Montmartre X Secret Recipe
Holiday Spirit X High Octane
Coffee Trader X Action Packed
Brave Face X Good Morning Sunshine
my father's seedling X Megarich
Holiday Spirit X French Rivera
Holiday Spirit X Ballroom
Holiday Spirit X Vienna Valtz
Holiday Spirit X Another Suggestion
New Perspective X Unknown
Lark Ascending X Unknown
Sofia X Unknown (bee pod)
Gypsy Lord X Unknown
Mastery X Unknown (bee pod)
Holiday Spirit X Unknown (many pods)
[Last edited by Serjio - Oct 18, 2018 7:05 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1838934 (9)
Name: Joshua
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Zone 10b)
Köppen Climate Zone Cfb
Region: Australia Bookworm Cat Lover Lilies Orchids Irises
Seed Starter Annuals Container Gardener Garden Photography Forum moderator Avid Green Pages Reviewer
Image
Australis
Oct 18, 2018 2:03 AM CST

Plants Admin

Wow, Serjio, that is quite the list. I think you may have to prioritise which ones to start growing unless you have lots and lots of space!
Plant Authorities: Catalogue of Life (Species) --- International Cultivar Registration Authorities (Cultivars) --- RHS Orchid Register --- RHS Lilium Register
My Notes: Orchid Genera HTML PDF Excel --- Lilium Traits HTML PDF --- Lilium Species Crosses HTML PDF Excel --- Lilium Species Diagram
The current profile image is that of Iris 'Volcanic Glow'.
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 18, 2018 2:24 AM CST
Australis said:Wow, Serjio, that is quite the list. I think you may have to prioritise which ones to start growing unless you have lots and lots of space!


I've only cleared a third of my land, but by my calculations, that's less than half the seeds... My eyes now unwittingly directed on the search for unused land in our district ) but I feel, that in next season again hands are itching do crosses))) it's a disaster ! Big Grin
Name: Barbara
Northern CA (Zone 9a)
Region: California Cat Lover Irises Enjoys or suffers hot summers Dog Lover
Image
iciris
Oct 18, 2018 8:56 AM CST
Just Crazy is one of my favorites.
x

Will edit to add Mood Ring picture.
I think this is a fabulous cross!
• “Whoever said, ‘Do something right and you won’t have to do it again’ never weeded a garden.” – Anonymous
[Last edited by iciris - Oct 18, 2018 8:58 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1839043 (12)
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 18, 2018 9:02 AM CST
iciris said:Just Crazy is one of my favorites.
x

Will edit to add Mood Ring picture.
I think this is a fabulous cross!


thank you , I hope!
Name: Jan Wax
Mendocino County, N. CA (Zone 9a)
I'm a studio potter.
Hummingbirder Dog Lover Irises Region: California Organic Gardener Dahlias
Garden Art Cat Lover Vegetable Grower Birds Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
janwax
Oct 18, 2018 9:13 AM CST
Serjio said " but I feel, that in next season again hands are itching do crosses))) it's a disaster ! Big Grin"

Serjio, you've expressed exactly what many of us feel about hybridizing!! D'Oh!

Thanks for your great list of crosses!
let the mystery be
[Last edited by janwax - Oct 18, 2018 9:16 AM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1839053 (14)
Name: Evelyn
Northern CA Sierra foothills - (Zone 8a)
Hybridizer Region: United States of America Region: California Annuals Bulbs Butterflies
Cat Lover Foliage Fan Irises Organic Gardener Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter
Image
evelyninthegarden
Oct 18, 2018 1:27 PM CST
janwax said:Serjio said " but I feel, that in next season again hands are itching do crosses))) it's a disaster ! Big Grin"

Serjio, you've expressed exactly what many of us feel about hybridizing!! D'Oh!

Thanks for your great list of crosses!


I agree Sergio where are you going to put the ones that you have processed? Are you going to continue to refrigerate the seeds, or can they be frozen?

I think that besides growing the ones I have started, if I haven't already killed them, next year I will just collect pollen to be frozen.

I am trying to see which irises are the most vigorous and then cross them the following year. Since I will have already collected pollen, then I can select which ones to be pollinated. That way, they will have had an extra year's growth, and will be strong enough to bear a child plant without being harmed. Of course, all will be subject to approval, since they all don't grow at the same rate.
“It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold, when it is summer in the light and winter in the shade.” ~Charles Dickens
(This seems to apply to May as well!)
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 19, 2018 1:22 AM CST
evelyninthegarden said:

I agree Sergio where are you going to put the ones that you have processed? Are you going to continue to refrigerate the seeds, or can they be frozen?

I think that besides growing the ones I have started, if I haven't already killed them, next year I will just collect pollen to be frozen.

I am trying to see which irises are the most vigorous and then cross them the following year. Since I will have already collected pollen, then I can select which ones to be pollinated. That way, they will have had an extra year's growth, and will be strong enough to bear a child plant without being harmed. Of course, all will be subject to approval, since they all don't grow at the same rate.


I'm going to put all the seeds on wet paper towels and in the fridge for 2 months tomorrow. Did I understand correctly the translation of Your message that you keep pollen for a year? I thought I heard it couldn't stay viable for that long..
Name: Arturo Tarak
Bariloche, Rio Negro, Argentin (Zone 8a)
Roses Dahlias
hampartsum
Oct 19, 2018 4:45 AM CST
@Serjio, I found this article that may help you.
http://www.telp.com/irises/lau...
I copied this paragraph since it explains about pollen storing:
"I've assembled a modest collection of paraphenalia for hybridizing. I use gelatin capsules for storing pollen (size 0 for small anthers and 00 for larger ones). The capsules are kept in a peanut butter jar with packets of desiccant to keep the pollen dry. I will also be trying glassine envelopes for pollen, as it seems these may be less airtight and help in keeping the pollen dry. (Update: I now use the envelopes exclusively.) The jar is kept in the fridge during bloom season, and then transferred to the freezer to store pollen of late bloomers for use the following spring. Pollen should be dry before closing the capsules."
Pollen also can be shared and exchanged. So you don't have to grow every single iris to get crosses that you desire.
If one starts just barely gleaning possibilities the numbers involved are near infinite!
Arturo
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 19, 2018 5:24 AM CST
hampartsum said:@Serjio, I found this article that may help you.
http://www.telp.com/irises/lau...
I copied this paragraph since it explains about pollen storing:
"I've assembled a modest collection of paraphenalia for hybridizing. I use gelatin capsules for storing pollen (size 0 for small anthers and 00 for larger ones). The capsules are kept in a peanut butter jar with packets of desiccant to keep the pollen dry. I will also be trying glassine envelopes for pollen, as it seems these may be less airtight and help in keeping the pollen dry. (Update: I now use the envelopes exclusively.) The jar is kept in the fridge during bloom season, and then transferred to the freezer to store pollen of late bloomers for use the following spring. Pollen should be dry before closing the capsules."
Pollen also can be shared and exchanged. So you don't have to grow every single iris to get crosses that you desire.
If one starts just barely gleaning possibilities the numbers involved are near infinite!
Arturo


Thank you very much, Arturo, for the article! This is very useful information, as it often happens that some irises do not bloom every year, and it is not always possible to choose the desired pair for the cross. If the pollen persists in the freezer, that's fine! Hurray! I have little idea what gelatin capsules are, but I have miniature glass tubes with a rubber cap. I wonder if they are suitable for storage Confused
Name: Arturo Tarak
Bariloche, Rio Negro, Argentin (Zone 8a)
Roses Dahlias
hampartsum
Oct 19, 2018 6:26 AM CST
@serjio" I have little idea what gelatin capsules are". I suppose the author refers to the capsules that some medication is presented. They are about 0,5cm up to 1 cm by 0,5 cm. Here's a add from Amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACUJRW/.
I suppose that it should be available there .
I haven't done enough search in Internet about frozen pollen viability specifically in irises. In many species if kept dry deep frozen ( below -18ºC), it can stay for many years (more than five at least). I would prefer the capsule, but even the glasine envelope. Frozen rubber cap may become brittle and could break inadvertently in the freezer. Not so the capsule or the paper glasine inside a jar. Also when storing large quantities like what you seem to, space is also something to consider... Smiling
Arturo
Russia (Zone 6b)
Irises
Image
Serjio
Oct 19, 2018 7:22 AM CST
hampartsum said:@serjio" I have little idea what gelatin capsules are". I suppose the author refers to the capsules that some medication is presented. They are about 0,5cm up to 1 cm by 0,5 cm. Here's a add from Amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACUJRW/.
I suppose that it should be available there .
I haven't done enough search in Internet about frozen pollen viability specifically in irises. In many species if kept dry deep frozen ( below -18ºC), it can stay for many years (more than five at least). I would prefer the capsule, but even the glasine envelope. Frozen rubber cap may become brittle and could break inadvertently in the freezer. Not so the capsule or the paper glasine inside a jar. Also when storing large quantities like what you seem to, space is also something to consider... Smiling
Arturo


thank you very much for the advice, I will definitely use it and prepare a lot of pollen! I always have an empty freezer.)

Page 7 of 18 • 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Irises forum
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by greenappleagnes and is called "Tulip 'Daydream'"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.