I'm trying to help a family member with backyard landscaping issues. I grew up in the Northeast but live in N California and do most of my gardening there where conditions are milder, so really appreciate your advice.
There are planter boxes in the rear of the yard and planting space on the right side of the yard. See the attached landscape map for planter boxes Left corner, Right corner and middle Bed A and Bed B. Bed A, Bed B and Right Corner and Right side of the yard get the most sunlight. We're looking for the easiest care best-color-bang-for-the-square-inch flowers and shrubs for each area.
Up to now Bed B has been used for early, mid and late tulips planted in November and blooming April, May and June and for Wave Petunias planted in June and blooming June, July and August.
1) Would Giant Pansies planted early September in Bed A bloom until at least mid-October?
2) What would be the best date this fall for planting new tulips?
3) Any other flowering plants you'd suggest for these beds?
4) Any colorful shrub you recommend for Be A in the rear in front of the ivy fence?
5) Would you recommend Purple Cabbage plants for winter in Bed B and when would you planted them? How long would they offer color?
Location & weather: New York City with cold freezing winters, plenty rainfall and humidity.
Sun: backyard gets AM Eastern sun and late AM and midday Southeast sun, and rear and right rear of the backyard get Western sun end of day.
Sincerely appreciate your advice!