Daylilies forum: Daylily sellers with fancy websites

Views: 508, Replies: 8 » Jump to the end
Name: Pat
Near McIntosh, Florida (Zone 9a)
Image
Xenacrockett
Sep 4, 2014 11:01 AM CST

I wish daylily sellers would realize all the fancy bells and whistles they put on their websites can cause slow loading pages.

Just today, I tried another seller's site and gave up when I couldn't find a price list and pages loaded slowly due to all the fancy stuff.

I really wanted to see what they were offering, but gave up in frustration.
Name: Larry
Enterprise, Al. 36330 (Zone 8b)
Region: Alabama Composter Garden Photography Garden Ideas: Master Level Plant Identifier Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Seedfork
Sep 4, 2014 2:26 PM CST
I think most web sites now are designed with fast internet speeds being assumed, the web designers get paid extra I guess for all the extra features. I would think fast loading price lists still would be number one in priority.
Name: Pat
Near McIntosh, Florida (Zone 9a)
Image
Xenacrockett
Sep 4, 2014 3:55 PM CST

Unfortunately the site I was looking at today had no price list whatsoever.
I've seen other sites with no price lists and/or price lists difficult to find.

Maybe these basics get missed in the grand design of things.

I've also seen some very good daylily websites that loaded fast, had great pics, price lists, contact info, etc.
Name: Theresa Maris
Bowling Green,KY (Zone 6b)
Daylilies Greenhouse Hybridizer Plant and/or Seed Trader Keeper of Poultry Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Dog Lover Region: Kentucky Hummingbirder Herbs
Image
tgarden711
Sep 6, 2014 7:12 AM CST
I have seen where some websites put the pictures up and just have a pricelist on another page. I find that annoying because you see something you like and have to try and figure out how to find the price, especially annoying if you have several you want to check out. I like the picture and price together.

I also have very slow internet (Hughesnet Grumbling is the only provider available where I live) which is never fast and their Gen 4 is much more expensive and not much better from what I have heard. I can't even load those bells and whistles.
Name: John
Marion County, Florida (Zone 9a)
Image
farawayfarmer
Sep 6, 2014 9:40 AM CST
Xenacrockett said:
I wish daylily sellers would realize all the fancy bells and whistles they put on their websites can cause slow loading pages.

Just today, I tried another seller's site and gave up when I couldn't find a price list and pages loaded slowly due to all the fancy stuff.

I really wanted to see what they were offering, but gave up in frustration.


Sadly, flash over substance seems to be popular with website designers these days. And, they can't seem to resist the urge to make changes for the sake of changing. Sigh.

They couldn't go wrong, if they'd follow one simple plan - K I S S
(keep it simple, stupid)
John
Name: John
Marion County, Florida (Zone 9a)
Image
farawayfarmer
Sep 6, 2014 11:00 AM CST
Xenacrockett said:
Unfortunately the site I was looking at today had no price list whatsoever.
I've seen other sites with no price lists and/or price lists difficult to find.




Those are the ones that I find really annoying. When I encounter a site like that, I generally move on to something else.
John
Name: Pat
Near McIntosh, Florida (Zone 9a)
Image
Xenacrockett
Sep 6, 2014 11:48 AM CST
tgarden711 said:I have seen where some websites put the pictures up and just have a pricelist on another page. I find that annoying because you see something you like and have to try and figure out how to find the price, especially annoying if you have several you want to check out. I like the picture and price together.

I also have very slow internet (Hughesnet Grumbling is the only provider available where I live) which is never fast and their Gen 4 is much more expensive and not much better from what I have heard. I can't even load those bells and whistles.


I hear you, Theresa. I'm stuck with Windstream and although I now am able to have high speed, some pages still hang up.
Some pages like Google and Facebook are fast loading, so we know that can be done.
When I call service techs about an issue, they'll say to use Google or something like it that loads fast (they never recommend their own website).

People who really want to sell stuff should have others check out their sites and report back... oh, well....

Name: James
South Bend, IN (Zone 5b)
Hostas Enjoys or suffers cold winters Birds Seed Starter Annuals Region: Indiana
Region: United States of America Dog Lover Daylilies Container Gardener Plant and/or Seed Trader
Image
JWWC
Sep 6, 2014 2:15 PM CST
It may also be where the sites are hosted. If their servers cannot handle how the website was designed that will slow it down. Add to that, previous versions of browsers and everything else and it's surprisingly easy for things to bog down.
Name: John
Marion County, Florida (Zone 9a)
Image
farawayfarmer
Sep 6, 2014 2:31 PM CST
Xenacrockett said:

I hear you, Theresa. I'm stuck with Windstream and although I now am able to have high speed, some pages still hang up.
Some pages like Google and Facebook are fast loading, so we know that can be done.
When I call service techs about an issue, they'll say to use Google or something like it that loads fast (they never recommend their own website).

People who really want to sell stuff should have others check out their sites and report back... oh, well....



When I retired and moved back to the county of my birth, we had no Internet option out in the rural area where we live. The local telephone company promised they'd offer DSL at some unknown point in the probably distant future. Comcast had cable running down the road, but our house is some six hundred feet from the road, and that's farther than they're willing to come without an extra charge.

The property is where my late father once had orange groves, and there are five family residences scattered around the acreage. My daughter is half a mile from the highway, for example.

Because she operates a computer network business and absolutely has to have high speed Internet, we paid Comcast $5,200 to bring cable to five residences. Oops, sorry. I loaned my daughter half of that amount, and put up the rest of it myself. (note: the Bank of Dad has since closed - permanently).

So, we've had cable, and fairly reliable Internet for about nine years. My partner and I finally decided that the tv offerings were crap, so in late April, we pulled the plug on the cable tv, and all we use Comcast for now, is Internet.

Do we miss tv? Not at all. We have a great collection of DVDs, and when I have time, and am not reading a book, I watch a movie, or we watch one together.

I could probably put up an antenna and get so-so reception from Orlando (64 miles away), but I really don't see the need. The only local news they'd have would be from greater Orlando, and of no particular interest to us. So, we rely on the Internet for news, when we bother to look at it.

The isolation from the world is kind of nice.
John

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Daylilies forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by nativeplantlover and is called "Bumble Veronica Pink"