Ask a Question forum: Kalanchoe blossfeldiana

Views: 328, Replies: 8 » Jump to the end

kolanchoe1
Nov 29, 2015 10:43 AM CST
Have a kolanchoe blossfeldiana bought in full bloom. Lasted bloom for 6 months. Cut it back to 4" stalks (3) in 6 " pot. Growing it in artificial light. Tops of stalks which are 1/2" wide are filling out. But nothing in middle or bottom of stalks. Is this correct? 3 stalks too much for 6" pot? Recently re-potted to this new pot. Like these plants because they hold their bloom soo long.

Thanks
Name: Tiffany
Opp, AL (Zone 8b)
Houseplants Organic Gardener Composter Region: Gulf Coast Miniature Gardening Native Plants and Wildflowers
Bulbs Foliage Fan Tropicals Butterflies Garden Sages Cactus and Succulents
Image
purpleinopp
Nov 30, 2015 6:07 AM CST
Leaves are usually on the newest growth. Once the trunk lignifies, that part is usually leafless. Are you able to add a pic of your plant to this discussion?

There are many pics of these plants here:
Florist Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana)
👀😁😂 - SMILE! -☺😎☻☮👌✌∞☯🐣🐦🐔🐝🍯🐾
🍀👒☀🍄🍍🌱🌿🌴🎄👣🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻🌽🏡🍃🍂🌾🌿🍁❦❧ 🍃🍁🍂🌾🌻🌺🌸🌼🌹🌳🌲
☕👓 The only way to succeed is to try.

kolanchoe1
Nov 30, 2015 8:44 AM CST
[quote="purpleinopp"]Leaves are usually on the newest growth. Once the trunk lignifies, that part is usually leafless. Are you able to add a pic of your plant to this discussion?

There are many pics of these plants here:
Florist Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana)

Pic shown here shows no leaf growth below top of wood. Plant was store bought year ago and bloomed well for 6 mos. Then I cut it back stems and all to present height of thick wood. Is this worth messing with or start out with new plant entirely. Seems healthy. Little hobby messing with plants.

Thanks for the help.


Thumb of 2015-11-30/kolanchoe1/b53510

Name: Tiffany
Opp, AL (Zone 8b)
Houseplants Organic Gardener Composter Region: Gulf Coast Miniature Gardening Native Plants and Wildflowers
Bulbs Foliage Fan Tropicals Butterflies Garden Sages Cactus and Succulents
Image
purpleinopp
Nov 30, 2015 2:47 PM CST
I'm not sure I understand the goal you're trying to achieve, the appearance to which you are trying to guide your plants, so am not sure how to advise.
👀😁😂 - SMILE! -☺😎☻☮👌✌∞☯🐣🐦🐔🐝🍯🐾
🍀👒☀🍄🍍🌱🌿🌴🎄👣🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻🌽🏡🍃🍂🌾🌿🍁❦❧ 🍃🍁🍂🌾🌻🌺🌸🌼🌹🌳🌲
☕👓 The only way to succeed is to try.

kolanchoe1
Nov 30, 2015 4:15 PM CST
purpleinopp said:I'm not sure I understand the goal you're trying to achieve, the appearance to which you are trying to guide your plants, so am not sure how to advise.


I gave 2 explanations and a photo of said plant. I think I'll move on for advise. This is painful!
Name: tarev
San Joaquin County, CA (Zone 9b)
Always count your blessings in life
Region: California Houseplants Plays in the sandbox Orchids Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Composter
Cactus and Succulents Dragonflies Hummingbirder Amaryllis Container Gardener Xeriscape
Image
tarev
Dec 1, 2015 12:59 PM CST
Hello kolanchoe1, if you want to have blooms now, then just get a new blooming plant, and then continue nurturing your present plant as well.

With some succulents, sometimes, they may form a new rosette on the hardened stem. Not so certain with kalanchoes though, but you can certainly try and wait, or it will just form new growth at the base of you can just get a leaf cutting from the remaining ones you have and let it grow, but patience will be your friend.

Good luck with your plant, I will certainly not throw it out if it were mine. I love nurturing them back to life, as long as I still see green and new growth, will keep it. Smiling

kolanchoe1
Dec 1, 2015 1:49 PM CST
tarev said:Hello kolanchoe1, if you want to have blooms now, then just get a new blooming plant, and then continue nurturing your present plant as well.

With some succulents, sometimes, they may form a new rosette on the hardened stem. Not so certain with kalanchoes though, but you can certainly try and wait, or it will just form new growth at the base of you can just get a leaf cutting from the remaining ones you have and let it grow, but patience will be your friend.

Good luck with your plant, I will certainly not throw it out if it were mine. I love nurturing them back to life, as long as I still see green and new growth, will keep it. Smiling


Thanks. I added a couple stem cuttings to the pot. We'll set it aside and see what happens. Will buy a Xmas color one that's blooming. Like em cause they hold their bloom for 5-6 months with care.


kolanchoe1
Feb 8, 2016 11:22 AM CST
kolanchoe1 said:

Thanks. I added a couple stem cuttings to the pot. We'll set it aside and see what happens. Will buy a Xmas color one that's blooming. Like em cause they hold their bloom for 5-6 months with care.



Plant is growing fine. How mature does the plant have to be to limit it's light in order to force a bloom?


kolanchoe1
Feb 8, 2016 11:22 AM CST
Plant is growing fine. How mature does the plant have to be to limit it's light in order to force a bloom?

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Ask a Question forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by Whitebeard and is called "variegated impatiens"