Gardening for Wildlife forum: Fox visiting every afternoon!

Page 1 of 2 • 1 2
Views: 321, Replies: 20 » Jump to the end
Name: Sheridragonfly/Sheri
Alabama (Zone 8b)
Salvias Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Sheridragonfly
Sep 12, 2016 11:52 AM CST
This fox and its sibling must have been born around April , I had seen them crossing the road and down through our yard to nearby fields to hunt mice in the afternoons.

One day the pair came through my yard and one of them just laid down on the concrete cool shady drive and had to rest, stretched out like it had died...
the other sibling fox waited beside it for about 4 minutes and then they scampered off to hunt..

The sibling something has happened to it and it no longer is alive which is sad to us.

The male fox comes by himself to eat fruit, watermelon, loaf bread and drink fresh water every afternoon at our house..Sometimes the deer eat with the fox in the same
area.......

I feel sorry for the fox as it was unable to catch a squirrel the other day and there is little in the woods to eat anymore due to coyotes and wild hogs which are eating all the creatures even eating baby fawns.

The fox would not eat a baby fawn I doubt but a coyote and a wild hog will and do
eat baby fawns..

So here is my fox that is not rabid..healthy and just a lot of joy to watch and photograph him.

One day he lay on our green grass and he pulled himself on his tummy and looked like he was smiling as he pulled himself about 5 foot through the nice cool grassy area ! I just burst out laughing at the Fox who was so appreciative of fresh clean water and bread and fruit and a nicely mowed lawn to play in that afternoon!

This fox just warms my heart and brings me joy to have it visit our home.

Sheridragonfly/Sheri
Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/0ddc68
Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/4b1637


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/96f59e


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/a3375f


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/b45b86


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/d86429


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/7f13c3


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/a47764


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/51c0c6


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/e737de

Name: janet
wirral uk
bats/bees/insects are important to
Image
rosieann99
Sep 13, 2016 11:47 AM CST
hi great pictures how lucky you are to see this, we once saw a fox in our garden but that was many years ago
we have bats in the front of the house, they been with us for 15years, see all there babies fly over us radar not as good as mums, and for the last 2 years tree bumble bees in an old bird box
we have a fish pond, get herons coming down and last week a lovely big dragonfly
it great to see wildlife i plant butterfly and insect friendly plants Acorn
Name: Marilyn
Northern KY (Zone 6a)
Laughter is the best medicine!
Rabbit Keeper Birds Hummingbirder Salvias Xeriscape Organic Gardener
Container Gardener Cottage Gardener Bee Lover Forum moderator Butterflies Apples
Image
Marilyn
Sep 14, 2016 2:24 AM CST
Sheridragonfly said:This fox and its sibling must have been born around April , I had seen them crossing the road and down through our yard to nearby fields to hunt mice in the afternoons.

One day the pair came through my yard and one of them just laid down on the concrete cool shady drive and had to rest, stretched out like it had died...
the other sibling fox waited beside it for about 4 minutes and then they scampered off to hunt..

The sibling something has happened to it and it no longer is alive which is sad to us.

The male fox comes by himself to eat fruit, watermelon, loaf bread and drink fresh water every afternoon at our house..Sometimes the deer eat with the fox in the same
area.......

I feel sorry for the fox as it was unable to catch a squirrel the other day and there is little in the woods to eat anymore due to coyotes and wild hogs which are eating all the creatures even eating baby fawns.

The fox would not eat a baby fawn I doubt but a coyote and a wild hog will and do
eat baby fawns..

So here is my fox that is not rabid..healthy and just a lot of joy to watch and photograph him.

One day he lay on our green grass and he pulled himself on his tummy and looked like he was smiling as he pulled himself about 5 foot through the nice cool grassy area ! I just burst out laughing at the Fox who was so appreciative of fresh clean water and bread and fruit and a nicely mowed lawn to play in that afternoon!

This fox just warms my heart and brings me joy to have it visit our home.

Sheridragonfly/Sheri
Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/0ddc68
Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/4b1637


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/96f59e


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/a3375f


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/b45b86


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/d86429


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/7f13c3


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/a47764


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/51c0c6


Thumb of 2016-09-12/Sheridragonfly/e737de



@Sheridragonfly

Great pics! How do you know the fox is a male and not a female?

We had a fox come and take (one at a time) two peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches years ago. DH brought them home on one of his airline flying trips (he was an airline pilot at the time) and I set them outside and checked to see who would take them.

Welcome to the Agastache and Salvias Forum!

Hummingbirds are beautiful flying jewels in the garden!


[Last edited by Marilyn - Sep 14, 2016 4:54 PM (+)]
Give a thumbs up | Quote | Post #1271775 (3)
Name: Sheridragonfly/Sheri
Alabama (Zone 8b)
Salvias Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Sheridragonfly
Sep 14, 2016 10:15 AM CST
HI Marilyn
now you have me laughing ..a man at church last week asked me how do you know and I said
DUH did you see the picture I took of the fox standing up at the stump eating out of the plate!
Look at him...see his privates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lol
The man and I got a good laugh out of that one..
YES HE IS ALL MALE..THAT FOX..
Sheri Rolling on the floor laughing
Thumb of 2016-09-14/Sheridragonfly/dfc2e8


Name: janet
wirral uk
bats/bees/insects are important to
Image
rosieann99
Sep 14, 2016 11:02 AM CST
hi everyone when i visit my friend who lives in the next town about 3 miles away i drive through dockland and often see a very shabby fox he or she walks across the road right in front of the car then goes through a fence and disappears down onto the railway track. Fox's lives in towns now in uk you hear them in winter howling. we have a caravan in snowdon mountain range in north wales been going there for 7 years, but never seen one or heard one, we get buzzards, owls, shrews (which the cat usually gets) from the barn
often see bats and herons but not foxs, i think they must be less of them now in countryside
has anyone seen them in there road or going into dustbins? Smiling
Name: Sheridragonfly/Sheri
Alabama (Zone 8b)
Salvias Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Sheridragonfly
Sep 14, 2016 3:46 PM CST
I have to add this photo taken yesterday late afternoon
I was so startled to see it as I was looking through my camera lens
waiting to take a photo of the fox through the windows..
well the fox was thirsty and had traveled through the woods on a hot
day here as he does every day then he leaves to cross the highway and hunt
in the fields for mice, so they run a long ways..

The doe does the same...same routine and same place she comes from across the highway
every day twice a day far off ..all her family have done the same over the last 10 years
we have been feeding the wild deer..they bring their babies /fawns to us each fall
and we have seen so many and loved them all ..until nature takes them away
or a hunter...

so take a look at this...the fox is drinking water face to face with the DOE!
She and he drank and then she realized what was drinking about 2 foot from her face
and she was startled and she made the fox leave for a few minutes while she continued to drink
her water....

I doubt I will ever see this again..and wanted to share it with you all.

If someone wants to bump it up somewhere on the site /garden site or place it somewhere where others can
read what happened or see the photo, please do so
Sheridragonfly/SheriT in Alabama USA
Thumb of 2016-09-14/Sheridragonfly/470989

Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Hummingbirder
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 14, 2016 3:59 PM CST
Sheridragonfly said:I have to add this photo taken yesterday late afternoon
I was so startled to see it as I was looking through my camera lens
waiting to take a photo of the fox through the windows..
well the fox was thirsty and had traveled through the woods on a hot
day here as he does every day then he leaves to cross the highway and hunt
in the fields for mice, so they run a long ways..

The doe does the same...same routine and same place she comes from across the highway
every day twice a day far off ..all her family have done the same over the last 10 years
we have been feeding the wild deer..they bring their babies /fawns to us each fall
and we have seen so many and loved them all ..until nature takes them away
or a hunter...

so take a look at this...the fox is drinking water face to face with the DOE!
She and he drank and then she realized what was drinking about 2 foot from her face
and she was startled and she made the fox leave for a few minutes while she continued to drink
her water....

I doubt I will ever see this again..and wanted to share it with you all.

If someone wants to bump it up somewhere on the site /garden site or place it somewhere where others can
read what happened or see the photo, please do so
Sheridragonfly/SheriT in Alabama USA
Thumb of 2016-09-14/Sheridragonfly/470989




A beautiful peaceful view of nature. Big Grin
Name: Marilyn
Northern KY (Zone 6a)
Laughter is the best medicine!
Rabbit Keeper Birds Hummingbirder Salvias Xeriscape Organic Gardener
Container Gardener Cottage Gardener Bee Lover Forum moderator Butterflies Apples
Image
Marilyn
Sep 14, 2016 5:01 PM CST
Sheridragonfly said:HI Marilyn
now you have me laughing ..a man at church last week asked me how do you know and I said
DUH did you see the picture I took of the fox standing up at the stump eating out of the plate!
Look at him...see his privates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lol
The man and I got a good laugh out of that one..
YES HE IS ALL MALE..THAT FOX..
Sheri Rolling on the floor laughing
Thumb of 2016-09-14/Sheridragonfly/dfc2e8




I posted at 4:24 EDT and hadn't gone to sleep yet, so I guess I didn't see correctly. *Blush* D'Oh! Blinking Sighing!

Hilarious!

Welcome to the Agastache and Salvias Forum!

Hummingbirds are beautiful flying jewels in the garden!


Name: Sheridragonfly/Sheri
Alabama (Zone 8b)
Salvias Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Sheridragonfly
Sep 19, 2016 12:37 PM CST
I read this article and thought I would share with you as I did not know fox hunt in the daytime for their little ones to feed them...I love my little fox...that comes each afternoon to dine and drink fresh water with our wild deer.

Are You Seeing Foxes Suddenly? This is Fox Pup Season
born in March and April...

the pups leave the den in July or August to hunt on their own or with siblings..

The phone calls and e-mails are rolling in- it is fox pup time and a lot of people are seeing adult foxes near their homes and becoming alarmed. What they don't realize is that foxes are coming in close to people to raise their families because coyotes are in the further out areas.

If a coyote finds a fox den, it may dig up the den and kill all the young. Foxes know this so they choose what they believe to be the lesser of two evils and come in closer to humans and away from the coyotes to have their litters. Please be kind and "rent" out your space to momma fox. You will be glad you did.


Foxes may have a den under your shed, porch, barn or in the back yard in a hill. The family will likely be moved in a few weeks to a new place. When the pups are older (July, August) they will start to be seen less and less.


By September, the fox family will be gone and everything will be back to normal. Red foxes will not live in a den year round. They only den to raise their families. Out of a litter of 6, it is likely that only two or three foxes will live to see September.

People are often alarmed, thinking their family pets and children are being stalked. Stalked by a 10 pound fox? I don't think so.

Important !!! In fact, foxes do not want to kill or eat your child, cat or dog, no matter how small .

They eat primarily mice, rats, rabbits and woodchucks. They may certainly watch your pets with concern, bark at them and may even chase your cat back into your yard if it goes near the den-


Of course good cat owners realize that they shouldn't let their cats roam free. Your 16 pound kitty will be able to hold her own against the fox. Remember, it is the outdoors and the fox belongs there.

Please allow the mother fox to raise her pups in peace.

Do not hire someone to "relocate the family" this will not work! The most that will happen is that one or two pups will be caught (and surely killed by the hired person) and the mother will get scared and move her family. Most states have laws that state captured wildlife must be killed.

Be patient, enjoy the fox family. it is a lot of fun to watch the pups scampering and tumbling with each other. In fact, it is a lot better entertainment than most TV shows on these days. Enjoy the breath of fresh air and the beauty in your back yard- it may be a once in a life time event for you.

Many people are afraid they can't let their animals out to go potty now. keep in mind that before you realize the family was there, you let your pets out and everything was OK.

Inform your neighbors not to shoot the foxes they see crossing the yards during the day . Red foxes are Not nocturnal! Momma works very hard to feed her family.

She will work all day and night catching rodents, snatching roadkill and bringing it back to her growing babies. Foxes also eat a great deal of grasses and insects too. They are omnivores.

If you really can't have a fox family in your yard, you may place an object such as a chair or a bucket near the den, but not too close as to scare momma away from grabbing her pups and moving them away from the scary object. About 10 feet from the den should be enough to concern her. Think about this though, momma felt safe enough in your yard to have her pups there. Where else will she be able to move those pups where they will be safe?

Please, appreciate this gift of nature.
Thumb of 2016-09-19/Sheridragonfly/b820fc

Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Hummingbirder
Image
Newyorkrita
Sep 19, 2016 1:47 PM CST
Excellent Article!! Thank you for posting it.

We have a nice forest and trees here in the nature preserve and we fortunately have no coyotes. And if they want a more open area they can go in the park. Last year I often saw a young fox in the park during the day. It was hunting squirrels. So the local foxes do have places to nest and hunt.
Name: Betty
MN zone 4
Frogs and Toads Birds Roses Region: United States of America Peonies Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
Lilies Irises Hummingbirder Hostas Garden Art Echinacea
Image
daylilydreams
Sep 19, 2016 2:18 PM CST
Sheri, your pictures are wonderful showing nature at it's best. I especially liked the one with the deer and fox drinking at the same time a once in a lifetime photo. The article was interesting.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime plant a garden!
Faith is the postage stamp on our prayers!
Betty MN Zone4 AHS member

Name: Chantell
Middle of Virginia (Zone 7a)

Charter ATP Member Region: United States of America Region: Virginia Garden Photography Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Dog Lover
Bee Lover Hummingbirder Cottage Gardener Tropicals Herbs The WITWIT Badge
Image
Chantell
Sep 22, 2016 1:03 PM CST
I am enthralled with these pics...and a lil jealous I must say. Good for you to share your space!!! Group hug
What would YOU attempt if you KNEW you wouldn't fail?
http://www.stillsthatspeak.com/
Name: Marilyn
Northern KY (Zone 6a)
Laughter is the best medicine!
Rabbit Keeper Birds Hummingbirder Salvias Xeriscape Organic Gardener
Container Gardener Cottage Gardener Bee Lover Forum moderator Butterflies Apples
Image
Marilyn
Oct 3, 2016 10:07 PM CST
I would worry about the wild Eastern Cottontail rabbits here that we have on daily basis year round if we had a fox here a lot. We've had a fox here once or twice, but that was a long time ago.
Welcome to the Agastache and Salvias Forum!

Hummingbirds are beautiful flying jewels in the garden!


Name: Rita
North Shore, Long Island, NY
Zone 6B
Charter ATP Member Seed Starter Tomato Heads I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Vegetable Grower Lover of wildlife (Raccoon badge)
Birds Garden Ideas: Master Level Butterflies Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Roses Hummingbirder
Image
Newyorkrita
Oct 4, 2016 9:24 AM CST
Well there are foxes around here but there are always still plenty of rabbits.
Name: Ann ~Heat zn 9, Sunset
North Fl. (Zone 8b)
Garden Sages Native Plants and Wildflowers Xeriscape Organic Gardener I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level
Butterflies Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier Region: Florida Dog Lover Birds
Image
flaflwrgrl
Oct 4, 2016 12:21 PM CST
We still see our rabbits here too.
I am a strong believer in the simple fact is that what matters in this life is how we treat others. I think that's what living is all about. Not what I've done in my life but how I've treated others.
~~ Sharon Brown ~~



Name: Margaret
Near Kamloops, BC, Canada (Zone 3a)
Region: Canadian Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Tip Photographer Garden Ideas: Master Level I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Charter ATP Member
Morning Glories Critters Allowed Birds Houseplants Butterflies Garden Photography
Image
mcash70
Oct 15, 2016 5:40 PM CST
Sheri, I love that fox, he is a handsome fellow, and it is so neat that he and the deer get along. You have a great property for wildlife, and it's awesome that you feed and give them water. Thumbs up Thumbs up
Name: Karen
NM , AZ (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Greenhouse Cactus and Succulents Adeniums Garden Art
Plumerias Hibiscus Houseplants Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Dog Lover Cat Lover
Image
plantmanager
Nov 22, 2016 11:58 AM CST
We have a new game cam, and just found these pics. I assume it is a fox? Maybe a gray fox?

Thumb of 2016-11-22/plantmanager/7b0803


Thumb of 2016-11-22/plantmanager/34ce60

Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Ann ~Heat zn 9, Sunset
North Fl. (Zone 8b)
Garden Sages Native Plants and Wildflowers Xeriscape Organic Gardener I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level
Butterflies Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier Region: Florida Dog Lover Birds
Image
flaflwrgrl
Nov 22, 2016 12:13 PM CST
Looks like a gray to me Karen. Thumbs up
I am a strong believer in the simple fact is that what matters in this life is how we treat others. I think that's what living is all about. Not what I've done in my life but how I've treated others.
~~ Sharon Brown ~~



Name: Karen
NM , AZ (Zone 7b)
Region: New Mexico Region: Arizona Greenhouse Cactus and Succulents Adeniums Garden Art
Plumerias Hibiscus Houseplants Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! Dog Lover Cat Lover
Image
plantmanager
Nov 22, 2016 12:14 PM CST
Thanks, Ann. Our dog is a chicken, and I hope if they meet up he'll bark and run away! We have pics of the fox out in the early morning light and at dusk, so it's possible they could meet.
Handcrafted Coastal Inspired Art SeaMosaics!
Name: Ann ~Heat zn 9, Sunset
North Fl. (Zone 8b)
Garden Sages Native Plants and Wildflowers Xeriscape Organic Gardener I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level
Butterflies Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier Region: Florida Dog Lover Birds
Image
flaflwrgrl
Nov 22, 2016 12:27 PM CST
plantmanager said:Thanks, Ann. Our dog is a chicken, and I hope if they meet up he'll bark and run away! We have pics of the fox out in the early morning light and at dusk, so it's possible they could meet.


I've read that foxes often make friends with dogs. I wouldn't worry overmuch; Reigel will probably just bark & run for the safety of you guys. Hilarious! Meanwhile, the fox will run the other way.
I am a strong believer in the simple fact is that what matters in this life is how we treat others. I think that's what living is all about. Not what I've done in my life but how I've treated others.
~~ Sharon Brown ~~



Page 1 of 2 • 1 2

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Gardening for Wildlife forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "French Marigold"