Views: 345, Replies: 4 » Jump to the end
Oct 19, 2015 10:58 AM CST
|This stupid cat just ate all the leaves of the seedlings, taking them out of the pots. The crown and roots are still there, so I repotted them.. I wonder if they will survive.. they were so small!!
If th cat doesn't die in a short I'll know that DLs are not dangerous for cats...
Sabrina, North Italy
My blog: http://hemerocallisblog.com
Oct 19, 2015 11:35 AM CST
|If the crown and roots are still intact, I would think most will survive.
The cats do the same here...
I've read some articles that say daylilies are poisonous.
Our cats eat daylilies all the time, they are all very healthy.
Oct 19, 2015 12:21 PM CST
|I've had that happen too. My seedlings lived. Now I either try to keep catgrass growing for my cats, or I pot up a few extra unwanted bee pollen seeds just for my cats to munch on. (I've thought about selling them as *cat greens* ) They seem to enjoy the daylily seedlings, and I know the foliage doesn't hurt them, or they would have already been sick or dead.|
Oct 19, 2015 12:25 PM CST
|Sabrina, I'm sure your seedlings will survive. They are though little plants!!
My 3 cats try to nibble on the DL leaves as well, given a chance
Because I thought that DL's were indeed poisonous for them I have been quite strict with them to keep them from doing that
(I've had dogs for 35 years and these are my first cats ever.. the result is that the cats can sit and heel on command and know what 'no!' and 'leave it' mean )
It is a great relieve to hear that your cats (16, wasn't it? ) haven't come to any harm after eating DL's
a DL flower a day keeps the doctor away
Grey County, Ontario (Zone 4b)
Oct 19, 2015 12:26 PM CST
kidfishing said:The cats do the same here...
A scientifically known part of daylilies that can be poisonous are the roots. Even those may be poisonous at some times and under some conditions but not at other times under other conditions.
|« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Daylilies forum