roses - Knowledgebase Question

cumming, Ge
Question by bowens500
what is the best way to remove old rose buds from the plant that have appeared to die. I have heard pull it off or cut it off. which is best as I think they need to come off to promote new growth. Knock outs and climbers.

0

The best way to deadhead roses of any kind is to prune off the dead or dying flower, plus some of the stem. Prune down to a 5-leaflet leaf (just follow the stem that's attached to the rose and find a 5-leaflet leaf and cut just above it). This will promote additional flowering on your Knock Out roses and if your climbers are repeat bloomers, on them as well. Some climbers only bloom once, in the spring so pruning in this way won't promote new flowers later in the season but will promote healthy new growth. Enjoy your roses.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"