Nurturing a new hydrangea planting - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by lucepalumbo
I cut a small branch from my hydrangea bush, kept it a glass of water and planted it last fall. I did not cover it so it was the victim of the elements. To everyone's surprise, it is now growing beautifully. Please help me to care for it the best way. Mainly, when should I fertilize and how much water does it need? Thanks, Linda P.

0

Wow! Congratulations on your new hydrangea! You can feed your hydrangea with a 5-10-10 fertilizer but apply it sparingly. You don't want to burn the roots of your new plant. Hydrangeas like fast draining soils and will show their need for water by wilting. I water mine twice a week and they seem happy. As long as you let the top half inch of soil dry out between deep waterings, your hydrangea should thrive. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"